New Bunneh Boy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butterfinger

Reaction score
So, this month seems to be -the- month for new additions, huh?
Well, there's one more.

Alright, so, as many of you know (And for those that don't), my only bun (But not only bun ever), Butter, died mid-October. I've had a lot of time to think about it and come to terms with this.
I won't bore you with rabble about destiny or any such thing, but I knew, even then, that I was meant to have bunnies my entire life. After about a month, I hesitantly started to research more breeds. Initially, I had my heart set on Belgian Hares, but for circumstances I already explained, decided to wait on that.

I did come across another breed, the Thrianta (I'm told that this is pronounced correctly as 'tree-awn-tah' ) and....fell in love.:D
I contacted every breeder in my area, and with some luck, one of them had rabbits available. (A new litter just weaned last month, no less!)
I've been keeping in contact with her for the past month or so, and we both have busy schedules, but we've been trying to set up a day for us to meet, so I can see (And hopefully bring home) one of the little devils. Today I emailed her to see if next Sunday would be a good time, and I'm crossing my fingers that it will be. :p
A lot of the reason why I couldn't do this earlier is that I wasn't sure if the busses or the MAX (A train-bus hybrid thing that Oregon has) allowed animals on board, and seeing as I don't have a car, I would have to bum a ride from someone I knew.....not easy.
HOWEVER, I did manage to find the policy of the MAX -and- the busses on animals, and they allow service animals....aaaaaaaand.....small animals in carriers!! :biggrin2:

So, HOPEFULLY, I'll finally be able to get one of the little cuties next Sunday, and you guys will definitely now if I do!

I even stumbled upon a pet supply shop (Called 'Urban Fauna' ) and went wild buying rabbit supplies.
Just so this isn't boring, I'll give you guys some pictures of the things I bought! (I think they're pretty snazzy ;) ) Please excuse the background, though, lol. The lighting in my kitchen is the brightest of the whole place, so I have them up on the stove, there.

Okay!
Number one! Because I know little bunny youngins' need Alfalfa hay and Timothy hay (Or was it just Alfalfa? Oh well. I know it's good for them ), I went ahead and bought a bag.

AlfalfaHay.jpg

Two! I threw away Butter's litter box. Because I felt that I just couldn't clean it well enough and it would be dangerous and so on and so forth. So I bought a new one. I'm liking the curved lip.

LitterBox.jpg

Three! I didn't want to use Butter's dishes either, for the same reasons....but....I didn't throw those away. I may use them, eventually, because they're ceramic and stuff, and I boiled them and scrubbed them out with bleach, but I want to wait longer....because I'm paranoid. SO ANYWAY. I found this ADORABLE lea bowl. I don't know if anyone else has it, or has seen it, but wow!

SnazzyLeafBowl.jpg

Four! I wanted to try using a bowl for water, for a change, instead of that drinky licky bottle thing. Here we go.

SnazzyStripeBowl.jpg

Five! Toys! :biggrin2: I found this crazy awesome tennis ball, and had to buy it.

SnazzyTennisBall.jpg

Six! More Toys! There was this cool looking thing made of a lot of er...ropes...bound together? It's confusing, but it looks like a rabbit would like it.

SnazzyRopeThing.jpg

Okay, that's it! :p I'll be sure to tell you guys when the little arrival....arrvies :waiting:

I'm gonna be so anxious. If I don't get him this weekend, I'm probably going to get him sometime in January, since my Winter Break runs until the 21st.
I've even got a name all picked out....I could change my mind when he comes, but I'm reeeeeeally liking the name "Samba"

Sorry for the long post! I just had to get it all out, haha.

~Diana

Be sure he has alfalfa pellets and then hay can be either but I prefer to keep them on alfalfa hay for the first 6 mos or so.

ALSO.... be careful letting him play with the rope and tennis ball for awhile - until you know if he's going to chew the threads and "fur" of the ball.

I WANT PICTURES!!!!

ALSO: I don't know if this has been discussed or not, but Do we have a way of checking bowls like the cabbage one for lead in the paint? I mean - it shouldn't have it for humans but could that be an issue?? We might want to make note of those things (recalls on children's toys that they might play with) ......

I didn't think about the lead paint thing....but.....they're both glazed over :? So....I didn't think it would matter? Because it's under a protective coating? I don't know, though. I'd be interested in any more information on this.

Of course I'll monitor him with the toys ;) And naturally, I don't want him to get bored with any of them either, so I don't think I'd have them out all the time, anyway.

Alfalfa pellets? I thought they only made them with timothy....? (Shows what I know, haha. :baghead) It is absolutely mandatory that I find these, or will timothy pellets do something terrible to the system? (I've never seen alfalfa pellets before.... I think I might have to make a long trip and some phone calls.... )

Aaaand, of course there will be pictures! :tongue I'm a picture-taking fool :wiggle

Thanks for the reply!

~Diana

I just looked them up, and wow, are they ever pretty!

Oh wow! I hope to see pictures of you bringing home your sweetie soon! What a beautiful breed! :D

And...WONDERFUL things you bought for the bun, too! Are you definitely going to try to get a boy bun?

Thanks for replying! I though Thriantas were just the cutest little things. And that color....:p

But UPDATE!!

The breeder just emailed me back and told me she was busy that weekend, but she was available the next weekend (22nd and 23rd).
The last day of Fall term is the 21st, and my parents are coming down that day to spend the night, then grabbing me and taking me back to Washington on the 22nd.
When my dad called me on the phone just a few days ago, he said it was possible that if I hadn't made any plans with the breeder to meet before then, that we could meet her on the 22nd and bring the bunny with us straight back up to Washington. (They said they'd rather not do that, though, if possible. So I'll talk to them again and tell them that I can't meet her any sooner. But I think they'll still go through with it. They already said they would, and they crazy haaaaate going back on their word. )

SO!

I emailed the breeder back and told her about it, so we'll see what she says. This sounds like a solid date, though! I'm psyched :biggrin2:

Oh, and I forgot to mention in my first post what Thriantas actually were.... (I only remembered when PixieStixxx said she had to look it up! D'oh! )
So, in case you don't know, they look like this:

(Random picture from a quick google image search. Rights belong to the photographer, not me )

Bozface.jpg

Cuuuuuute, right? :thumbup

maherwoman wrote:
Oh wow! I hope to see pictures of you bringing home your sweetie soon! What a beautiful breed! :D

And...WONDERFUL things you bought for the bun, too! Are you definitely going to try to get a boy bun?

Sorry Rosie! We posted at the same time; I didn't see :p And yes, I wanted to definitely get a boy. I've talked to a couple breeders about them, and one said that boys were definitely the sweetest, but girls are a little mean.. She said she didn't know why this was, but that there was a clear difference in behaviour between the two, and that she's never had a mean boy, but even her sweetest girl isn't even close to any given one of her boys!:shock: So if I do get a girl bun eventually, I don't think it will be this breed, haha.

~Diana

Oooh lucky! I was after some Thriantas in the summer but I never ended up getting any, so I can't wait to watch your new boy grow up!

I hear their personalities can be as firey as their colour. ;)

We saw one at the fair one time and nicknamed him Tomato while we were there all week! "Hi Tomato!" Eventually we found out his real name - and I have no idea what it was..... he'll always be my Tomato! LOL!

Alfalfa is high in protein - it's good for their growing bodies and brains.... if you can find a feed with alfalfa try to feed that (you could mix the other in for now until it's gone - but really mostly use the alfalfa for 6 mos)

Butterfinger wrote:
Cuuuuuute, right? :thumbup

Yep..they sure are a lovely breed......i cannot wait to seeyour little guy's pictures when you bring him home :)

Cheryl

the fur color of that bunny looks almost exactly like Pickles, LOL!

How big do they get? were there any OTHER vegie bowls where you got the leaf one from? our local pet store has the cabage but they also have a carrot(about 8 in long x 4 in deep) and a radish(3 1/2 in dia) that i got Vi. the carrot's for her hay and the radish is for her vegies/fruit. VERY cute! good luck w/the new boy. don't you just HATE the waiting?:grumpy:

Wow, they just don't tell me when there's replies to this, haha. I have to keep checking back. :?

So, it looks like the 22nd it is! I have the directions to the breeder's house, when she'll be available, phone number, home address and everything. Glee.:biggrin2: I'm gonna need it after my killer finals.
Okay, so since I didn't see any responses until now.....

Bo:
I'll try my best to find an alfalfa pellet diet for the little one. Hopefully, the breeder can give me some of what she was feeding him and I can just go buy more of that.
Lol, Tomato! Sure looks like it, huh? :p

LadyBug:
I'm told that Thriantas grow to be around 6 pounds when mature.
I didn't see a raddish bowl, but there was a carrot one there as well.... I didn't want this one though, because of it's shape :p It would be awkward to fill/wash....Also.....the carrot is way too tiny to be putting hay in :? Do you have a hay rack, as well?
And yes, waiting is the worst! :p

Phinnsmommy: Yay, lead-free paint! :bunnydance:

Cheryl, Jenson, Tonyshuman, Leaf, Haley, JamesCarden: (Sorry, thought it would be easier to mush you guys together :D ) Yay! I'll be sure to take loooots of pictures and show how he grows up!

Latest posts

Back