New Bun Thumps at us all the time!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foreverblue127

Reaction score
Our new bunny (3 months old) has not warmed up to us yet at all. He has not bitten but when he is out running a around he thumps at us every time he walks by. Then he looks over his shoulder at us. If bunnies can give dirty looks he gives us one.
The worst is when we have to TRY and put him back in his cage. It's hard because our other bun is sooo sweet and lets us pick him up and put him away. I know that the Bun will eventually calm down and warm up to us. At least he doesn't bite! :) Any ideas on how to safely catch a bunny who doesn't want to be caught? I do not want to stress him out or cause him to dislike us more.

Where is his cage? Is it at floor level? I suggest having the cage at floor level in the house. I let my new bun out (meaning I open the cage door)and sit still off to the side out of buns way and let bun come to me if it wants to. I let it run an play for a little while in a closed off area and then bring on the food. I hand feed the bunny a little then put the rest in the cage in the bowl. Then the bunny will hop in on his own and you don't have to pick it up. I don't pick mine up unless they have to see the vet.

bribe him with a treat...rolled oats,tiny piece of nana,a half a raisin to show him what u have in hand..then the other half after he gets in the cage...consistently that will train him

i have 2 thumpers ..one of them thumps when im cooking...or if i come into the room to quickly without talking to them first..
my other thumper is a neutered teenage male and he thumps when hes having fun playing on my bed...he will dig dig dig ...pull the cover ,,,dig dig dig...THUMP!..not sure why but its STINKIN CUTE!..
give ur little bun some time hes really scared still hell come around i promise.

sometimes when they are running around they remind me of little boys in batman capes maybe the thumping is part of his play then

I have his cage on the floor. Well basically I have converted my dinning room into a pet area! I have two buns on opposite sides of the room. The older bun has a hutch with a fence around it so he can go in and out.The new bun has a cage and he gets out and plays in the dinning room. I hope to be able to set an area up for him like the older bun has.
I am just wondering Why isn't he afraid of all the other animals? He comes right up to my dogs and cat. And yet not to me or my daughter.

The other animals are smaller than you. You are much bigger than the rabbit. I would get down to his level so you are not so frightening to him. Talk to him softly and also have treats in hand. Bonding with a rabbit takes time as they are naturally prey animals. It took myu male rabbit, Prince, a long time to bond to me but I stuck with it. One day he licked me, and I was clipping his nails at the time. Sweetie bonded instantly with me. I guess it just depends on the rabbits personality whether they will bond with you instantly or they may take a while to bond with you. Just be patient, trust me it is worth it. It was worth it with Prince.

LOL, my big bun does that too. He doesn't like it when they are in his space and he runs after them. Dogs trip all over themselves trying not to step on him:)

Some are more territorial than others. Hopefully, time will cure all. As to putting up, we have a simple system. We have an apple box (two halves) we cut holes in both ends and have a pan full of shredded newspaper. Our rabbits hang out, play and dig in it, and when it's time to go up we can herd them into it and then pick up the box and transport them to their hutch.

Nancy McClelland wrote:
Some are more territorial than others. Hopefully, time will cure all. As to putting up, we have a simple system. We have an apple box (two halves) we cut holes in both ends and have a pan full of shredded newspaper. Our rabbits hang out, play and dig in it, and when it's time to go up we can herd them into it and then pick up the box and transport them to their hutch.
ive heard u talk about an apple box before but im not sure i know what ur talkin bout..cuz what im picturing isnt very big..and i know u have good size buns so it cant be what im thinkin...is it made of wood or cardboard?..it sounds perfect for what i need,where did u get it? at a regular grocery store produce dept?..talk to me :)

Latest posts

Back