New bun mom looking for good hay in Denver

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AgentHops

Reaction score
Hi Im Alie and Im a new bun mom to a 2 year old Polish bunny. We have had him for one week. We named him agent hops but we usually call him funny bunny. I have been reading alot on bunnies. I know they need unlimited amounts of hay. I have been reading that Timothy hay is the best. I was wondering if there was a place to get good hay in north metro Denver and what hay your bunnies like the most. Your going to make a very funny bunny a very happy one thanks for your insight

best thing to do is use google to locate feed stores in your general area - feed stores will sell horse-quality grass hay by the bale (ANY kind of horse-quality hay is acceptable for bunnies, though if it's a "cereal" type like oat or wheat, you need to remove the seed heads). in my area they mostly just have coastal at feed stores... however, if they have more variety at feed stores in your area (different types and/or cuts of hay), you can ask them if it would be possible to get a little sample of each of their hays so that your bunny can taste-test them before you commit to buying a bale. whenever I've asked that, I've always been told "sure, just go grab a handful off each of the bales" (they've never charged for it). then you can figure out which one your bunny prefers. every bunny has different preferences as far as how soft or crunchy or "stick"y or sweet they like their hay.

a bale can be stored for a year or more as long as it's kept dry, clean and insect free, btw. I got two half bale bags to store hay in from http://www.tackwholesale.com/bale-bags-c-11.html (I prefer the half-bale bags because it's easier to move them around and you can stack them to take up less space. the feed store will cut the bale in half for you free of charge if you ask them to). you can also use big plastic garbage bags or rubbermaid storage containers, etc. to store hay.

Hi there!
I just noticed your post and if you're still looking for hay, check out Murdoch's. I'm not sure what part of Denver you are located in, but there's one located just south of C-470 on Santa Fe Drive. I know that may be a bit far, but they always have a variety of hay and you don't have to purchase an entire bail. In fact, if you're ever really on a tight budget, you can get a bag of the spare hay that falls off of the bails. I don't remember what they call it. ... perhaps the "sweep up" hay or something like that. It's a pretty cool store if you're not familiar with it just check them out online.

Take care! ~ Eva

Oh, and P.S. I think Timothy and regular "Grass Hay" are both great!

Back