New Bun Here

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Llama

Reaction score
I just bought a second bun and have pretty muchbeen leaving her be for now so she has more time to become acclimatedto her new home. I placed Jetta's and the new bun's cages next to oneanother, but not close enough that they could touch.

My problem is, the new bun has not eaten a thing since I got her lastnight. Right now she has hay, pellets, a dried apricot and lettuce inher cage. I just put the lettuce in this morning. She did take to thewater bottle quite well and has been drinking, a lot. She has also doneboth "duties" in the corner of her cage. I'm just worried that she hasnot eaten.

Now of course, Jetta has already torn through all of her munchies and is eating just fine, so no worries there. :p

Thanks for reading :D

Welcome to the forum!

She may just be adjusting to the new surroundings. Watch her,she may be taking a few nibbles here and there.I'vehad buns eat very little at first. Try someoats, buns just can't resist them.

If she still isn't eating by this evening or tomorrow, try someNutri-Cal. It's a high calorie supplement and an appetitestimulant. If she won't just eat it, put some on herfoot. She won't be able to resist "cleaning" it off.

Jen

Ok, she nibbled on some hay earlier so I'mfeeling better about that. I just can't believe the amount of water sheis drinking! :shock: I wonder if maybe she was a little dehydrated fromthe store or something.

About the oats, can I get them at our grainery or what should I look for?

Plain old Quaker Old Fashioned Oats from the market.

I mix some in with their pellets and they tend to eat more pellets, too.

~Jim

Welcome to the forum, Llama,

It's not uncommon for rabbits' appetite to suffer a bit when they firstget to a new home. I agree with Jen to give her someNutriCal...about an inch of it, as it comes in a tube liketoothpaste. Two out of three of my rabbits will take a bit ofit on a yogurt drop, one I have to put it on his forepaws so that he'llclean it off because he can't stand it.

NutriCal is a nutritional suppliment and it's advertising is gearedtowards cats and dogs. Rabbits benefit from it in that itincreases their appetites, has laxatone in it in case going to thebathroom is a problem, boosts their immune system (which is especiallyhelpful during times of stress - such as moving to a new home wouldbe), and it provides the nutrients they need when they go off theirfeed.

Either way, I truly feel that every bunny family should have it in thehouse. It can be purchased at a pet supply store for between$10-20 and it lasts a long time as you don't need much of it.

Keep us posted. And congratulations on your newbaby!:stork: She'll soon settle in, I'm sure. Itsounds like you're an extremely loving and attentive parent.

-Carolyn

P.S. I'm going to bring back a post about different types of oats. I give my crimped oats.

Eureka! She's eating! She seems to be settlingin well other than the fact that the dogs make her nervous. I'm surethat, like Jetta, she will realize that they stay on the other side ofthe fence. :bunnydance: She'll be teasing them in no time.

Hi im new and i have one rabbit her name is ginger and i take care of two other ones named Snickers and moon.

Llama wrote:
I just can't believe the amount of water she is drinking!:shock: I wonder if maybe she was a little dehydrated from the store orsomething.

Bindy drinks oodles and oodles of water, I think some buns drink morethan others, your bun will be fine, just take a couple of days tosettle in welcome and have fun and goodluck with the new bunny.

Ok, the Pet store has Nutri-Stat, which I'massuming is the same as Nutri-Cal. The description fit the same of whatyou have said here, so I think I'll get it.

She loved the oats by the way. She was even flying around the cage abit, leaping and bounding as happy bunnies do, so I think she hasbecome more settled. I will probably let her out tomorrow and start thelitter training process. Let's just hope she catches on as well asJetta did.

Oh yeah, the new bun's name is Passat. lol. My VW bunnies. :D

Welcome to thefourm! Hi There I hope you enjoy this fourm as much as i do.There is alot of good information about rabbits here and alot more. Youget alot of friends that help you out with problems if its rabbits oryour life they dont care there just there to be like a family and helpno matter what the problem is.I hope you stick around this fourm:hug:My name is Ashley. I have 2 bunnies Thumper ( Mini-Lop) and Faynayis a (holland-lop). Im on alot so if you need to talk ill usally behere most of the days but i am busy alot so email me if you need me. myaddy is[email protected]

:mrsthumper:Always:thumper:Ashley and the buns

Latest posts

Back