New bun has tooth problems

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ellissian

Reaction score
The new bun I brought home yesterday has tooth problems.

His top front incisors look a little short and one is chipped. His bottom incisors look like they have just broken through the skin and there is a gap between them.

I have'nt been able to observe his eating habits too well with him living outside. It looks like he manages to eat his mixed food ok, he is still on his usual food at the minute. It does'nt look like he has ate any hay at all. I've just given him some veg and he won't touch it.

Sorry I can't post a pic of his teeth right now. Does this sound like some sort of injury or a lack of hay?

Hmm, doesn't sound hay related because hay deals with the back teeth, I believe but it could be injury related,it could also be malocclusion related.

I don't know anything major, but I know a few people that have given their buns things to chew on, wood, mineral blocks and stuff which can wear teeth down so that if they are presenting a minor problem, it sort of aligns them again. So it might be worth getting some chews for him so that when they grow he has something to hopefully get them into the right shape if they are not growing correctly.

You don't attract ill bunnies, you just have a big heart for those that are in need. Unfortunately those in need are often not the healthiest ones.

Is he very young? It does sound like maybe there was some sort of accident if one is chipped. Or it could be that someone tried to trim his teeth and messed up.

I dont really think theres anything you can do right now to help. Just keep an eye on him, make sure he's eating properly and that his teeth arent getting in the way when he tries to eat. they may grind down naturally as they grow, but its likely you will have to trim them all his life if it is malloclussion.

He is about 6 months old.

His teeth are quite yellow too, not sure if they change colour with age, but Millys and Hopes were always white .

I would pop him to the vet and get his back teeth checked asap. If the front ones are in that sort of shape then the back ones could be in need of attention. Bad back teeth can misalign the front teeth and visa versa.

Until the broken teeth regrow you won't be able to tell if all four incisors will line up right. He may need them burring as they grow to even them out until they're in the right place again. If they grow back wonky and don't wear evenly then it may just work out better to have them removed.

It will take a few months of monitoring to see if the issue is malocclusion or lack of hay. It may be he'll need temporary work to even them out and then a corrected diet will sort him out permanently. The back teeth check will also let you know if the lack of hay eating is him not used to it or a physical reason he can't eat it.

Tam

I am going to try and post a pic of his teeth when I go to my friends later today.

Thats if my bun will let me take one as no one else is home to hold him for me.

I will go and try.

I think that depends on a lot of thinks, i.e. if he has things to wear it down.

We had a bun with malocclusion, and at first we had to cut them every once in a while, and then it ended up at every three weeks because they started growing faster.

Has he got lots of things to chew on? Wooden toys and things?

ellissian wrote:
The new bun I brought home yesterday has tooth problems.

Oh, I am so sorry. I know you've been through so much recently losing Milly... :pray:

Hang in there. You care so much...you are a great "mom" for this fellow. And sounds like the poor little guy is still nameless. Perhaps a name having to do with teeth? :dunno Okay, a pathetic thought...but you never know what will spark an idea.

I've not experienced any bunny dental problems (yet), so I've got no experience to offer...but you will be in my thoughts & prayers. Let us know how it's going!

-Mary Ellen

No, he has a name now! I put it on my blog he is called........Harvey! :)

I've gave him things to chew but it does'nt look like he uses them. His bottom teeth have grown a little since last week.

He can eat hay, but I don't think he is a lover of it. He does'nt eat a lot of hay at all, I gave him some grass which he was'nt keen on and he won't touch veg. Gets me thinking this little (or rather big) boy has only been fed mixed rabbit food all his life. :(

It will take him a while to get used to eating other things.

Have you tried different types of hay with him? Or maybe spraying a mist of apple juice over the hay. And I swear I read somewhere that Jim D sprays a mist of camomile tea.

I had a rabbit with malocclusion and sometimes when they grew to long they would wear slightly making one set thinner than the other and then a bit would crack off ( not often mind you i got them burred once a month)

It doesn't take long for them to grow back you will see a difference in a week or 2 and that will let you see better how they are growing

Edit to add: try giving him chews for his front teeth it does help wear them down even if they don't meet properly:)

I do have a bunny with severe tooth problems but they came on when he was about 3 yrs old and had nothing to do with diet. I'm sure they are genetic.

On the other hand Gabriel"s incisors were chipped and abnormal when I brought him home about 2 months ago. He was a starved and dehydrated stray and I am very lucky that good nutrition and a good home ..and time...and now his teeth are normal.

Moominmoo wrote:
And I swear I read somewhere that Jim D sprays a mist of camomile tea.

:biggrin2:...guilty!

The buns really seem to like it. Benji tucks right into it.
Just make sure it's only very lightly misted so it doesn't cause the hay to mold or mildew. Any damp hay should be removed after a few hours.

You might want to try some hay cubes, too. (aka: hay cakes). My buns think they're some kind of treat. They gnaw at them with their front teeth, so that may help in Harvey's case.

From what I understand, it's the silicate in the hay that helps to wear the teeth down.

~Jim

Oh, I have some hay cubes in, I keep forgetting about them cause Milly and the guinea pigs would'nt touch them. I will try him with them, thanks :)

I popped in the pet shop today (the one that let him roam freely outside with no shelter :X) and I mentioned his tooth problems, not suprisingly she did'nt know he had one. She said he would never eat hay there just mixed food, I have give him loads of oat hay with his usual meadow hay, hopefully he will start eating it soon.

Here's a pic of Harvey's bottom teeth taken today. They are growing through at different rates, since I have no experience what so ever with teeth on any animal, I don't know whether this is normal or not.

What do you guy's think?

HPIM0335.jpg

It looks like I was being rough with him on this pic, I promise you I was'nt!:?

HPIM0331.jpg

Latest posts

Back