New bread recipe

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wabbitmom12

Reaction score
I modified my regular bread machinerecipe today, and it turned out delicious! I thought I'd share:

RICH COUNTRY BUTTERMILK BREAD

1 T vinegar

1 C milk**

2 T milk

3 T butter or stick margarine

1 1/4 salt

3 T real maple syrup*

3 1/4 C bread flour

1 Pkg. super rising yeast

Using a 2 cup liquid measure, put the 1 T of vinegar in the bottom of the measuring cup, then add enough milk to make 1 cup. Add the additional 2 T of milk, and stir. In a small saucepan, scald the milk mixture and the butter or margarine. While warm, stir in the salt and maple syrup to dissolve. Let cool until you can put your pinky finger in up to the knuckle, without burning yourself. Mixture should be warm, but not hot. Place scalded milk mixture into the bottom of your bread maker. Put the flour on top, and make a shallow well. Put the yeast in the well.

Set your bread machine on Super Rapid mode (approximately 1 hour baking time.) Check dough ball when it has been kneading about 3 minutes. The dough ball should be flexible and slightly moist, but not sticky. If too sticky, add up to 1 T of flour, all at once. Complete the baking cycle, and remove bread from pan shortly after it is finished, so it doesn't become soggy. Let cool 1 hour, slice and enjoy. Store leftovers in a ziploc bag orcontainer with a lid.Makes about 1 1/4 pound loaf.

*This recipe originally called for honey. That's good, too, butwe usedthe real maple syrup, and it was even better. The bread is rich, but not overly sweet.

**If you have actual buttermilk or sour milk on hand, use that instead of the vinegar/milk mixture. (1 C plus 2 T.)

Sounds great! but I can't work with yeast. I had a severe allergy to it when I was a kid - I woke up each morning with HUGE hives all over my body! I've desensitized for the biggest part but I kill yeast if I cook with it.

I love breads! :?

I love bread! That sounds yummy! We only make the Betty Crocker white bread, or we make Will's Grandma's pizza bread. I actually got the yeast to rise when I made bread last night! :biggrin2: I will have to try your recipe, wabbitmom!

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Sounds great! but I can't work with yeast. I had a severe allergy to it when I was a kid - I woke up each morning with HUGE hives all over my body! I've desensitized for the biggest part but I kill yeast if I cook with it.

I love breads! :?
Yikes! You must have to be so careful!

Can you eat regular storebought bread now? Or rolls, etc. at a restaurant? I would die with no bread!

If I had to go without handling the yeast, no biggie - there are plenty of wonderful places to buy delicious bread. *Panera Bread* ....yum!

kherrmann3 wrote:
I love bread! That sounds yummy! We only make the Betty Crocker white bread, or we make Will's Grandma's pizza bread. I actually got the yeast to rise when I made bread last night! :biggrin2: I will have to try your recipe, wabbitmom!
Youmade the REALLY homemade kind. MMM, sounds wonderful! I just don't do that much anymore...I "cheat" and use my bread machine. The bread texture is different, but I so love bread, it's still wonderful.

How did your bread turn out? My family scarfed ours down so fast, I have to get the bread machine going again. That's one thing nice about the Super Rapid cycle....it is.

This looks really good, I love buttermilk bread. I don't buy bread, though, because I usually can't finish a whole loaf on my own without some of it going bad. (I don't care for the bread Jason likes, so we don't share. He usually finishes a whole bread on his own, anyway.)

Maybe I will try to scale this recipe down, or search for a scaled down version. My bread machine is a compact one that only makes a 1 pound loaf. (It's a really cute little loaf that only makes 6 or 8 slices.)

BethM wrote:
Maybe I will try to scale this recipe down, or search for a scaled down version. My bread machine is a compact one that only makes a 1 pound loaf. (It's a really cute little loaf that only makes 6 or 8 slices.)
This bread is fairly dense and moist. Even though the recipe states 1 1/4 lb loaf, I didn't think it raised that high. I'm pretty sure you could make it in a 1 lb machine, especially on the Super Rapid cycle, as those recipes don't have as much time to rise anyway. :)

Mine turned out dense, too. It was fluffier than it normally is, though! Last time I made it, it turned out to have the consistency of pound cake! :?

kherrmann3 wrote:
Mine turned out dense, too. It was fluffier than it normally is, though! Last time I made it, it turned out to have the consistency of pound cake! :?
LOL! Well, *pound cake* is good, too! ;)

Latest posts

Back