New baby Rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greysis0217

Reaction score
Hello,

My name is Greysis and I am new here.I have 2 rabbits. One I have hadfor 6 months a she is an adult. She is golden brown and has been veryspoiled by the whole family. Yesturday I got a new baby rabbit that isas white as snow and as beautiful as my other one. But I am having alittle problem. Jessy (the older one) is having a problem with SnowWhite (the baby) and I am scared she might do something to hurt her. Imean, yesturday she bit her twice. It wasn't hard enough to make herbleed but she did it anyway. Today I have them together but I amwatching them. Snow White id jumping around all over the place andJessy is unusually quite and isn't moving much. What should I do. Idon't want Jessy to feel that the baby is replacing her. Please help,SOMEONE!!!!!!

In desperate need of help,

Greysis

WelcomeGreysis,

Keep them separated and scatter their free time. Two femalesdon't always get along, and your older bun is letting the baby knowwho's turf she's on. You could keep their cages near eachother so they get a chance to smell each other and get used to theother, but definitely wouldn't put them out together. Thebigger rabbit could too easily stress the baby too much and it couldlead to either a fight with high vet bills or a heartattack if the babyis in constant fear, which I'm sure she is at this point.

-Carolyn

Hi Carolyn,

Thanks for your help. I am so far keeping them apart. I am also keepingthe cages right next to each other. Right now they are on my bedtogether but I am here with them watching them. This morning I talkedto Jessy and don't know if she understood me but she is behaving muchbetter than she was before. Anyway, here isa pic of them.

Welcome! They are both very beautiful rabbits. :)

I've introduced babies to adultstwice now, both timessuccessfully. The first time it was love at first sight, the secondtime not. I now have three rabbits who love each other and all sharethe same cage and I'll tell you how I did it.

First, like Carolyn said, keep their together time down to only alittle bit at a time. Keep their cages near each other so they get usedto each others smell. Let them out seperately, so they can go up to theother's cage and do some sniffing.

To get them to bond, or at least tolerate each other: you need to putthem in a neutral territory, a place neither rabbit ever goes. I usedmy bathroom, because the floor is slippery for their paws making themunsure of themselves,and it's small so I can keep a close eyeon them. I made sure to have water and food available for them, and awater bottle on hand to squirt when nipping would begin(the kind youuse for misting plants). I would sit quietly on the floor and let themdo their thing, and kept them in their for about 20 minutes to start.

I had to do this twice to three times a day for a full week before Abby(my older rabbit), started accepting the baby rabbit. Abby would chase,bite and harrass the baby like you wouldn't believe. Now they sleeptogether, groom each other, and are very bonded. When Abby would letthe baby come to her without biting, I would praise her and give herraisin. When she would bit or thump, which indicated to me a bite wascoming, I would spray her and say NO! Eventually she got it.

Rabbits are naturally social animals. They like to be around otherrabbits. However, it will take some time and effort on your part. Don'tgive up though. I thought that Abby and the baby would never get along,and now they are very close.

Stephanie wrote:
Rabbits are naturally social animals. They like to be around otherrabbits. However, it will take some time and effort on your part. Don'tgive up though. I thought that Abby and the baby would never get along,and now they are very close.

This is very true! You need to remember, however, that theyare very territorial and will fight to establish a socialhierarchy. Rabbits have been known to very seriously injureanother and can disembowel another rabbit with a strong kick.I've also seen cases where bucks have fought and ripped testicles wideopen (not a pretty sight).

I recommend close supervision until you are certain they will getalong. Remember -- not all rabbits will bondand itcan be especiallydifficult to attempt to bond two alphaanimals.

Pam

Latest posts

Back