New Baby Pics

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

massie777

Reaction score
I took in a jet black female mini rex that the owners had living with a male because they thought they where both female. Well 1 week later she had 6 babies. They are soo cute.

One is all white, One is a dark color and 4 are spoted. If anyone knows there colors please let me know. Not sure what dad looked like.

3 Days Old

3SBaby10.jpg

3SBaby1.jpg

3SBaby15.jpg

3SBaby3.jpg

What color do you think this dark one is going to be?

3SBaby17.jpg

3SBaby18.jpg

The all white one could be a ruby eyed white. The dark one, I am thinking is a black otter. The spotted ones might all be broken black otters because they all seem to have white in their ears and not solid black.

Cute!!! :D

yeah I think you are right because i can see some brown in them, and I looked at some pictures of the black otter and broken black otter and it looks just like them. I really thought she was going to have some all black ones like her but we didn't get any.

Rabbit color genetics are so weird sometimes. I am really hoping them have the rex fur though.
If the mother is mini rex but the father had reg. fur what chance do they have to have the velvet fur like mom?

massie777 wrote:
yeah I think you are right because i can see some brown in them, and I looked at some pictures of the black otter and broken black otter and it looks just like them. I really thought she was going to have some all black ones like her but we didn't get any.

Rabbit color genetics are so weird sometimes. I am really hoping them have the rex fur though.
If the mother is mini rex but the father had reg. fur what chance do they have to have the velvet fur like mom?

If the father had regular fur, there's a slim chance babies will have rex fur.... I think there is something genetic about that, but since I don't know anything about it, I won't say lol. I'm sure someone will come along and explain the genetic side of the fur. ;)

However, when I had a Mini Rex cross litter this summer (it was accidental!), the babies didn't have rex fur at all. There fur was very thick though, and they were very fuzzy, but it wasn't rex-like.

Emily

As far as I understand, rex fur is a recessive gene. So both parents must be carriers in order for the babies to get the rex fur. So if one parent has non-rex fur, then the babies will not have rex fur.

I did have a foster litter that had a mix of angora fur, regular fur and rex fur. However they where horribly inbred and had horrible health problems (half the litter died of cancer by the age of 1).

My guess for the dark baby is a castor (brown).

-Dawn

oh yes...that dark one does have a bit of brown. didn't notice it the first time. so castor could be involved here....lol

Oh well, we will know for sure when they get more hair! :p

here are some new pictures of the babies...They are 6 days old today. I am noticing that 3 of the babies, the brown one, the white one and one of the spoted babies looks like they are going to have rex like fur. They also have the curly wiskers.

The other three spotted ones look like regular fur with straight wiskers.

6SBaby11.jpg

6SBaby2.jpg

6SBaby7.jpg

6SBaby4.jpg

6SBaby3.jpg

I have a question about what aurora said I have a mini rex/Lionhead mix buck I bred him with my Rex Doe and they had 4 kits 1 kit has rex fur the rest dont so is that possible the way Im reading your comment it isnt but I could be reading it wrong

Having rex fur is kind of like being having blond hair. It is recessive and both parents have to be carriers in order to have a child with blond hair. Two parents with no history of blond hair in the family will not produce a child with blond hair, but if both parents come from a family with history of blond hair, then they could have a child with blond hair even if the parents themselves have dark hair.

A lionhead/rex mix will be a carrier of the rex fur gene, so if bred to another carrier there is the possibility of having babies with rex fur.

Now, a pure lionhead bred to a mini rex would not have any chance of having rex fur, but the children will carry the gene and if bred back to a rex may produce rex furred babies.

-Dawn

Latest posts

Back