NEW Baby Bunnies ... should I give them feed right away ??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julie_in_PA

Reaction score
I just brought my new baby bunnies (a giant chin and a flemish giant - both approx 8 weeks old) and have them both settled in their XL crate/pen. They have LOTS of hay available to them ... and of course water. My question is ... should I give them feed (pellets) right away ? Or wait until they're more settled in (like after 24hrs) ??

Also, are rabbits digestive system finicky about feed ? I mean ... the guy didn't tell me what feed he has them on (although I can email him and ask) and I have one kind of feed here ... Patch's feed. Can I give that to them ? Or do I NEED to give them the exact same stuff that the other guy was giving them ?

Bunnies have very sensitive tummies and a change of food should be spread out over at least a week Give the guy an e.mail and find out.:)

Ok ... I just sent an email to him asking. For now I'll give them free choice hay, then once I know what he gives them, I'll probably have to go buy it (tonight or tomorrow).

btw- the feed I have right now is called "Manna Pro - Select Series" ... does anyone know if that's a good brand ? Cause if not ... now would be the perfect time for me to switch. But I would really prefer a Tractor Supply brand, cause that's where I buy it.

Ok, I didn't get an email reply, and we're getting ready to head to town, so I called them, his wife answered, and she told me that they feed the rabbits "Big Red Rabbit Feed."

For the life of me ... I CANNOT find Big Red Rabbit feed INGREDIENTS online ! I found the feed for sale, etc. ... but can't find the ingredients !

I want to know the ingredients, because if the ingredients are basically the same as the feed I have now ... I'd like to use what I have. Tractor Supply carries my current brand, and I go to Tractor Supply for all my feed. They purchased Big Red from Southern States, well I don't go to any Southern States, and there IS one about 1/2 from me ... but I rarely ever go that direction. So I really want to use a Tractor Supply Brand (such as the one I am using now)

The ingredients for my current brand is :

Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Wheat Middlings, Soybean Hulls, Soybean Meal, Feeding Oatmeal, Cane Molasses, Vegetable Oil, Brewers Dried Yeast, Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Fermentation Solubles, Dlmethionine Minerals and Vitamins

Does ANYONE know the ingredients in Big Red .. .for a comparison ??

Tractor Supply also carries DUMOR, PRIDE, and the bran I have now - MANNA PRO

Help Please ? And soon ... we're leaving within a half hour to go to Tractor Supply.

Big Red is a 15% protein alfalfa based pellet sold by Agway Feeds. In my personal opinion, 15% is not enough for a growing Flemish Giant. The Manna Pro is a good feed. The alfalfa is fine for a growing junior.

I'd keep him on hay tonight and tomorrow, give him 1/3 cup pf pellets. As long as he doesn't get diarrhea, you can give him a little more on Saturday.As long as he is still doing fine, gradually increade the feed over 4-5 days. Keep up the hay and fresh water, and I would add a few tablespoons of cooking oatmeal - Quaker Oats - dry(their stomach seems to tolerate it very well and it is good for him at this age).

While on the subject of manna pro. I feed Manna pro sho. Is this okay for my 9 week old flemish? This boy has an appetite.

I'm glad you mentioned the young ones can have alfalfa, I didn't know that.

Thanks :) I'll use the Manna Pro then. And will do like you said. I'll just keep them both on the hay and water till like tomorrow evening, then will give them just a little of the pellets. Then I'll gradually increase the amount if all is well :) Thanks !!!

And I think I do have some oatmeal in my cabinet. Some rolled oats. I also have the packets of flavored oatmeal (with peaches, etc. in that you can buy) Could I give some of that ? We don't like the brand, so it'll just go to waste otherwise.

I also purchased some vitamin drops for bunnies from Tractor Supply - it says to add it to the water or food.

I DID notice that one of the chin babies looked like it had the "runs" today when I was there. it was from the same litter as the chin I got. But my chin looks clean and doesn't appear to have any problems.

You shouldn't have any trouble with the Manna Pro, if you start slowly.

NO! Please don't use the flavored oatmeal. That is loaded with sugar and salt and chemicals. It's not good for them at all! You can only use plaincooking oatmeal (rolled oats). Not instant oatmeal. :(

I really don't use vitamins or drops in the water. They should get all their nutrition from the food. And they shouldn't get used to drinking flavored water.

Keep an eye on your chin baby and keep him away from the other bunnies, until you are sure he is healthy. Wash your hands between taking care of the rabbits. The sibling could have been stressed or had other issues, but better to be on the safe side. If the bunny starts with any loose stools, remove all pelleted feed immediately and put him on a strict hay and water diet for a day to see if it clears up.

Do not give the babies greens if they have never had it before.I prefer not to give the Flemishvege's or fruit until they are 4 months old. They have such a rapid rate of growth at this age, that they can develop problems if they don't have a balanced diet.

Latest posts

Back