New Baby Bubby

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Luvit73 wrote:
Thanks for the help . One last question - I'm thinking , forsuch a young baby , physical contact with another is important . So ,would it be ok to let her sleep in the bed with me , or will she needwater at night too ?

She'll need water at night. Babies drink a LOT then. I'd let her sleepalone but make sure she has something to burrow into. Also, you mightaccidently squish her if she crawls around the bed at night. And she'llmost likely pee on the bedding. hehehe

Rose

Look at it as anexcellent opportunity to forge an incredible bond with your baby.;)Sebastian was only a couple doors down, so his little girlvisited him every day from the day he was born. She held him, lovedhim, played with him, every day...they knew and loved each otherlongbefore he came home. I truly believe that is why he issuch an incredible family bunny. You have that sameopportunity to mold a great bunny too!

Raspberry

Bump (look at what I learned LOL if anybody gets it from my other post about what bump ment lol)

Hi all I have been away a couple of days but now I am here. I just sawthe posts and have some info on that little bunny. I work at thepetstore that the bunny came from. The store gets the rabbits from alocal breeder. The babies are soppose to be six weeks old and for megoing on the activness, how much they ate, how big they were, how theylooked, what their droppings looked like, teeth, toenails etc I decidedthat there was no evidence for me to go against that. The rabbit is aholland lop polish mix. The rabbit came to the store the day that shebought it and I checked them all over. They were all very active racingaround and exploring. I did pull back one litter because they were alittle under condition (I could only feel pinbones but I still didntlike it) and the store owner went on my advice and had them come andget them. The owner also brings in the parents when they bring them in.The parents were both small. The mother was a polish and the father wasa tort hollan lop. One that I would love to show someday but sigh not aflemish giant or english lop so I got to stick to my two breeds. Ipicked up the mother and she looked very fat and conditioned not like adoe that was milking a litter that big and not huge underneath like shewas realy producing milk. The babies were in the cage with her andalthough she looked a little suckled on the hair on her belly was notmatted or rubbed away like a milking doe. There was five in thatlitter. The two other litters had three in each and they were both minilops. Like i said i sent back one of the mini lop litters and when theycame in to get them they brought in the parents of each litter possiblyto argue with me but I was proffesional about it! In the picture therabbit looks alot smaller than she is. In the store I piked up thebabies and could not put my fingers all the way around them although Icoudl hold them in one hand they were almost too big for my hand.

I have raised netherland dwarfs, mini lops, holland lops, and a coupleof the other breeds but not more than one doe in those other breed thenI still raise flemish giants and english lops so I am pretty used tobaby rabbits. Now I will admite it has been a year since I had a litterfrom a small breed but I do remember it well. I saw that baby rabbitfirst hand and I do believe that it is of a fair age. Now I can admit Imay be mastaken but honestly in this case I feel confident that i amnot. But it is great that people on the list is so good to be concernedand watching out for others! this realy is a good list.

Yep , showrabbits was there . She even sexed thebunny for me . Thanks for that , by the way . :)I feel alittle more at ease , having that background info , thanks again .:)If she is six weeks then , I do have a question - shouldshe be sleeping alot ? Pretty much every time I take her out , she'llexplore for about ten minutes , then go to sleep on me . Is this normal? Oh - I took a couple of pics of her sleeping on me this morning , shewas too cute to resist . :D

AnyaA8.jpg

AnyaA9.jpg

pamnock wrote:
Absolutely adorable :) It's not a NetherlandDwarf. It is a sable point Holland Lop whoseearshaven't lop yet.

Did you get it at a pet store? Poor little cutie was too young to be weaned and retailed.

Pam
haha i was like thats a holland a cute little holland yes very small.holland lops dont usually get to be more then 4 pounds so you stillhave a dwarf i would just let whoever gave it you that they are toyoung to sell! hope yours dose well, very beautiful bunny!

sara

showrabbits wrote:
Bump (look at what I learned LOL if anybody gets it from myother post about what bump ment lol)

Hi all I have been away a couple of days but now I am here. I just sawthe posts and have some info on that little bunny. I work at thepetstore that the bunny came from. The store gets the rabbits from alocal breeder. The babies are soppose to be six weeks old and for megoing on the activness, how much they ate, how big they were, how theylooked, what their droppings looked like, teeth, toenails etc I decidedthat there was no evidence for me to go against that. The rabbit is aholland lop polish mix. The rabbit came to the store the day that shebought it and I checked them all over. They were all very active racingaround and exploring. I did pull back one litter because they were alittle under condition (I could only feel pinbones but I still didntlike it) and the store owner went on my advice and had them come andget them. The owner also brings in the parents when they bring them in.The parents were both small. The mother was a polish and the father wasa tort hollan lop. One that I would love to show someday but sigh not aflemish giant or english lop so I got to stick to my two breeds. Ipicked up the mother and she looked very fat and conditioned not like adoe that was milking a litter that big and not huge underneath like shewas realy producing milk. The babies were in the cage with her andalthough she looked a little suckled on the hair on her belly was notmatted or rubbed away like a milking doe. There was five in thatlitter. The two other litters had three in each and they were both minilops. Like i said i sent back one of the mini lop litters and when theycame in to get them they brought in the parents of each litter possiblyto argue with me but I was proffesional about it! In the picture therabbit looks alot smaller than she is. In the store I piked up thebabies and could not put my fingers all the way around them although Icoudl hold them in one hand they were almost too big for my hand.

I have raised netherland dwarfs, mini lops, holland lops, and a coupleof the other breeds but not more than one doe in those other breed thenI still raise flemish giants and english lops so I am pretty used tobaby rabbits. Now I will admite it has been a year since I had a litterfrom a small breed but I do remember it well. I saw that baby rabbitfirst hand and I do believe that it is of a fair age. Now I can admit Imay be mastaken but honestly in this case I feel confident that i amnot. But it is great that people on the list is so good to be concernedand watching out for others! this realy is a good list.
can you please make your paragraphs more spaced:)

i got lyla when she was 6 weeks old and she looked like this

lyla3.jpg

i hate to say it but i really do not belive that bunny is 6 weeks! lylais a holland lop and that picture was taken right after i bought her.im not trying to start anything only to say in my opinion anya is veryyoung

sara

The baby is perfectly and absolutely adorable. I want to squeeeeeze her!!!:D

For a 6-wk.-old to be sleeping that much, in my experience, is unusual.By 6 wks., my babies were insane little bundles of energy--bothHollands and Palominos. Hey, by FOUR wks. I couldn't get them to sitstill! Definitely most of the time was spent being active, although Ido remember the whole litter taking short "crash naps"at 4-6wks. But it's also my experience that a lone baby tends to be lessactive than one who has siblings to get it wound up. Just like kids!:pMy Izzy liked to sit on my lap and get her ears scratched,at 6 wks.

gjsara, showrabbits did mention that one of the parents was Polish,which could explain the stubby cute little ears, usually seen on veryyoung babies. Lyla, being a full Holland (and a long-eared one at that)would look more typical. That said,little Anyasuredoes look young in the pictures! As I said, she looks like my 3 wk.olds did.

Luvit, in my opinion, you have a little Sebastian there....and you might find her bunnynapped someday! :shock:;)

Who me????

hehe

Rose

Luvit73 wrote:
Yep , showrabbits was there . She even sexed the bunny for me .Thanks for that , by the way . :)I feel a little more at ease, having that background info , thanks again . :)If she issix weeks then , I do have a question - should she be sleeping alot ?Pretty much every time I take her out , she'll explore for about tenminutes , then go to sleep on me . Is this normal ? Oh - I took acouple of pics of her sleeping on me this morning , she was too cute toresist . :D

AnyaA8.jpg

AnyaA9.jpg

showrabbits wrote:
The rabbit is a holland lop polish mix.

The color is rather unlikely for a Polish mix. You'll findthat breederswhowillbreedmixesoften don'thave much experience in identifying purebred rabbits, and also may keeppoor breeding records. That baby looks like our 3-4 weekHollands do.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
showrabbits wrote:
The rabbit is a holland lop polishmix.

The color is rather unlikely for a Polish mix. You'll findthat breederswhowillbreedmixesoften don'thave much experience in identifying purebred rabbits, and also may keeppoor breeding records. That baby looks like our 3-4 weekHollands do.

Pam

Our genetics expert!!! hehe

So, is that a recessive gene that causes that coloring, and Polish don't carry it? Am I right?

Learning from the best!:D

Rose

You got it Rose! There are nonon-extension Polish colors, and a sable point would have to inheritthe non-extension gene from both parents. There are also noshaded Polish colors, and the baby is too dark to be a heterozygouscchl (shaded) from a Holland& c (rew) from a Polish.

Seeing a photo of the bunny, the physical appearance as well as thegenetics just don't add up that it could possibly be a Holland x Polishcross. I'm guessing that perhaps the breeder has an erectearred Holland, and for lack of knowing any better calls it a Polish.

Pam

I see I still have mountains to learn . lol I am glad that I joined this forum .

Besides the greek you guys are talking about , I thought about anotherpossibility as well . showrabbits had said they brought the parents inwith them , and the Polish female had not appeared to be nurseingbasically . Is it possible then , they just brought in a doe that wasnot the mother , to pass the kits off as older than they were ?

Also - if it helps , her body is the size of a soda can , plus her head , wich is smaller than a tennis ball .

rabbitgirl - for shame , wanting to bunnyknap my baby . Fair warning ,if you come to get her , my 3 month old husky puppy will lick you todeath ! lol :p

Congrats on your new bunny. What a beautiful baby she is.

Showrabbits, I know you know what you are doing and I am in no wayinterfering with your judgement as I can only see what is in the photosbut this looks like mybabies did when they where about 3-4weeks old. Maybe itsjust thephoto.
AnyaA8.jpg

Like I said though you saw them first hand and I am only seeing photosso I could be wrong, but from this the baby looks way to young to beaway from Mummy just yet.

Vickie

pamnock wrote:
Yougot it Rose! There are no non-extension Polish colors, and asable point would have to inherit the non-extension gene from bothparents. There are also no shaded Polish colors, and the babyis too dark to be a heterozygous cchl (shaded) from aHolland& c (rew) from a Polish.

ha HAAAA!! I'm learning!!!

Thanks Pam! hehe

Rose

Latest posts

Back