new babies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1234bunnies777

Reaction score
Ironically 2 weeks before I was going to get my new bunny Ebby spayed she gave birth to 8 kits they are 12 days old now and i have accumulated a number of questions because this is the first time this has happened to me!!

1. There were two peanuts one died and one did not but he seems to be doing well although he is small compared to the others he does have fur but he looks weak when will i know that he will survive?

2. It appears that the mother had stepped on one of the babies and it did bleed and it appears to have healed up fine but are there any risks of infection?

3. At this point the babies are 12 days old and their eyes have not opened yet is this a problem? if not when will their eyes open?

About the peanut bunny. I'm sorry to say but he/she will eventually die. They usually only live a few days, but i've heard of some living up to 2 weeks.

The mum bunny won't hurt the babies by stepping on them, but i don't know about infections, sorry.

Bunnies do usually open their eyes at around 12 days, but if they are not open yet just wait for a day or two more, then if they are still closed, help them by using a cotton ball with warm water and gently run across the bunnies eyes.

You can sex baby bunnies easily at around 4-6 weeks old. They will start trying and eating hay at around 2/3 weeks old, and then start eating the pellets at around 3/4 weeks old.

Mum will start weaning her bunnies when she feels ready, usually when she has had enough of them! Mum will usually start weaning them at around 5-7 weeks old, some mums still feed them at 10 weeks so you should step in to help mum wean her babies.
You could do this by separating the mum and babies at the usual time she feeds them, if its in the morning or night.

HOPE THIS HELPS! :D

Is it a true peanut, or just a runt? I think peanuts are usually referred to as buns that are malformed (usually in smaller breeds) and a runt is just the smallest of the litter (usually dies because it gets pushed out of the way at feeding time by the bigger siblings).

Latest posts

Back