new babies arrive. HELP!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kathykala

Reaction score
i am a first time rabbit owner my kids got the for a gift. the female was pregnant and

we didn't know until this morning she had 4 babies. We are new to allof this and have no idea what to do. I don't think the mother knowseither. when we noticed the babies this morning the where all spead outthroughout the cage. there was no nest made, and the babies werefreezing cold. I didn't know what to do so I just kept an eye on them.I checked on the computer for things to do to help but i couldn't findanything. Now I just went to check on the babies and 2 of them havedied and the other 2 don't look so good. I brought the 2 live ones inthe house to try to get them warm and I gave them some warm milk but Idon't know if this is right or what to do next if anyone has ANY adviceyou can give me on what to do and how to do it it would be greatlyappreciated. Thanks-from the new guy. :?

You need to get a box, and lay it with hay, andthe mother's fur. You can also put the babies on the mother's nipple,and feed them that way too. Don't know if this helpsyou. Good luck, also keep them in the house.

Welcome KathyKala,

Claudia's correct. They need a nestbox, fill with hay, brush the momand take some of the hair left in the brush and put it in the hay. Putthem on the mother's nipple and see if they'll take. The mother won'tabandon them if your scent is on them. Does usually feed their babiesonce a day, sometimes twice, but they always get an early morning feed.If the babies have round fat warm bellies, she's doing her job. Sheprobably isn't at the moment because they're not in a nest box andshe's confused. If they're not in a nest, she won't care for them andshe can't move them herself.

KMR (Kitten Milk subsititude) with a little cream would be the bestthing to give them now, but whole milk will help if you don't have thataround and handy. Don't overfeed the babies.

KMR dosages:
Newborns: 5 cc
1 week: 10-15 cc

If you can get to a GNC or local health food store, you can get abottle of acidophilus. Best to get the capsules and add 1/2 cc to theKMR as it will help keep the bacterial balance in the baby's bellies.Of course, all of this is after you've tried getting the mother to feedthem.

If you squirt the liquid in too fast, you can suffocate the babiesgetting fluid into their lungs. After feeding, use a cottonball wetwith warm water and gently stroke from between the front legs to theanal area until the baby goes to the bathroom and is through. Themother will usually lick the babies in order to stimulate theirintestinal and urinary systems.

Don't give any fruits/vegetables.

Keep us posted.

-Carolyn

Is this her first litter? I have read that themother sometimes don't know how tolook after thematfirst and she may just abandon them as she isn't sure what to do. It isquite common for them to just spread them through the cage and not makea nest. I'm sure that if you take the advice given to you by Claudiaand Carolyn your helping hand will soon getthe little ones ontheir feet.

I'm so anxious to hear how your rabbits are doing - Hope they are ok and have survived the night- pls let us know!

Vickie

Good luck. I'm in the same boat. She startedhaving them about an hour ago. Is there anything I should bedoing for her. we fixed her a nest in a 5 gal bucket with old towels .Will that be ok????? She has been pulling fur for a few daysnow. She has had several litters beforecoming to live with us, but this is our first. Thank you for any helpand suggestions .

:):(:shock::DMamabunny

Hi i had the same problem last week lost 4,triedfostering the last but the belly was never full and in the corner aloneso I brought it in and sunday will be a week,so far so,good. I had aquestion I read a forum on peanuts how do I know if I have one do theylook different? I bred pedigree jersey woolies befroe and never had aproblem but this rabbit came form a pound pregnant and I think she wascrossed with a lop because the babies ears are big I dont know becausethey didnt know I am just quessing. I hold the baby to a nipple of thejersey wooly that just had babies but the belly never looks full also Ifeed 5cc kmr in the morning,what else please help dont want to lose it?Thanks guys

Latest posts

Back