New Arrival

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steph

Reaction score
We just got a new kitten about 2 weeks ago, I named him Gary (boy):).
Anyway, Foo Foo (boy) and Gary has seemed to get along great. They werechasing each other around and playing like crazy. Gary is playfulanyway, but Gary would jump on Foo Foo and paw at him and stuff. (hisclaws are always trimmed cuz I know they're like needles) Then Foo Foowould come back doing basically the same thing, he would leap onto Gary(after Gary flopped on his back and did this bicycleaction)and kick alittle. It's sooo cute-lol.
Foo Foo did getneutered on the 10th. and i introduced them onthe 12th. But on Sunday (13th), while they were playing Gary ran intoFoo Foo's cage and Foo Foo chased him and violatedhim!:shock:I dont know what to make of it!!! I thought thatafter being neutered he would stop having those urges! Especially withanother species and another male! Now I'm scared to let them playanymore, I got Gary because I knew that Foo Foo gets lonely during theday, and because I can't afford another rabbit..

Please help! Gary cries for me to let Foo Foo out so they can play. Idon't want to deprive them of their new playmates, but I dont want FooFoo to continue doing that to Gary. :(

Thank you,
Steph.

Foo Foo might still have some hormones inhim. I believe that even after they are neutered, it couldtake up to 3 weeks for the hormones to leave his body...buck jones,carolyn, or pamnock can tell you more of correct me if I'mwrong. If i were you, I wouldn't let one little incident stopme from letting them play...maybe it was a lapse in judgement on FooFoo's part...poor little guys...I love kitties...give them both a patfor me :)

-Carrie

I was really hoping that is was just somehormones "left behind." Thank you so much! I hope more people willrespond to this post so I can get a more "unified" opinion on thesituation. I did let them play yesterday (14th) but not for very long,and supervised the whole time. Gary really does miss Foo Foo, sometimeshe hangs by Foo Foo's bedroom door meowing for me to let him out. (yesFoo Foo has his own room-but shares it with the hamster)

I'm going to let them play again today, but not for long and will besupervised. I am still "iffy" about the situation, and like I said.. Iwant a little more imput before I take another chance.

Thank you again!

~Steph.

Hi Steph,

Emmit's Mom is exactly correct. FooFoo still hassome hormones racing around. He'll mellow out, but it cantake up to a month or two (depending upon how the individual rabbitreacts) before their hormones calm down. Eachoneheals differently. Tucker was fine after a fewweeks.

I don't think you have much to worry about. Expect FooFoo tostill feel his oats fora bit, and Gary will have to learnthat his place is notin FooFoo's "palace".

I'd just be careful of putting them together only to be sure thatFooFoo doesn't overextend himself, causing a delay in hisrecovery. I'm figuring that you had this done thismonth? I'd try to keep him from too much running around forthe first week.

:)

-Carolyn

Hey -- My Mother-in-laws dog goes foranyones leg, and he was, let's just say altered 7 yearsago. Bugs kept going for Roxy, even though the were bothaltered. Who knows -- My husband is altered and heis still interested. ---- Kim

*laughs* Kim.

True that you can't accurately predict without a question of a doubthow their behaviors will change after neutering/spaying. Thatsaid, generally speaking, most become less aggressive with less of anurge to react to their hormonally-induced behaviors.

-Carolyn

Evey now and again we will see mounting behaviorsoccurring occasionally between our bonded couples who've been neuteredfor years. It still remains a way to assert dominance and ifoften initiated by the doe. In any case, it is rare, short,and never really causes much of a reaction from the "victim." I don'timagine it will cause much of problem intra-species.

Buck

Well, yeah, but do monitor and exercise commonsense. If it seems like one or the other animal is gettinginjured, it is no longer play, and they best be separated.Otherwise, let them have their fun, if fun it still is.

Buck

Ok, thanx for the info.
For the most part, it's easy to tell if Gary is getting hurt he'll cry.But I'm not too sure about Foo Foo. I doubt that Gary can hurt him, heis a lot smaller than Foo Foo and weaker and i keep his claws clipped.I used to think that Foo Foo was submitting to Gary cuz our with othercat (which we gave away) Foo Foo would "bow" his head down and staystill. He does it a little with Gary..but then after the 'mounting' youbeg to differ. Now it seems like he wants Gary to submit. I'm not surewhat either one is thinking-lol. Gary is way too hyper to listen to me,let alone Foo Foo.

Well, thanx again for the help. I did plan to monitor all playtimeanyway, but I wanted to make sure that this wasn't an issue to worryabout. Thank you.

~Steph.

Latest posts

Back