New arrival and some food questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nangobi

Reaction score
We had a new arrival yesterday - a gorgeous silky soft Netherland (I think) called Little Neddy.  As he's only recently been neutered I've split the run with a mesh wall and he and Bugsy have their own hutches and run space.  I thought that way they'd still be able to see and get used to eachother before I attempt putting them together in a few weeks time.
Neddy's from a rescue - the RSPCA took him to the shelter in the same box as another bun and well, you now what bunnies do best - by the time they'd driven the the shelter, the other bun was pregnant. Neddy's been neutered now. 
<br><br>Check out his helicopter ears!<br><br>He's been used to eating muesli which I don't use so I'm going to slowly add pellets to his food until he is off the muesli altogether.
Bugsy's always been very clean, she always uses her litter tray untilNeddy arrived yesterday!  She's pooped EVERYWHERE!LOL!  "This is my run, my place".<br><br>Anyway, food questions.   Concerning Bugsy (6-7months old) - how much should she be getting in one serving?  I usually give her a small handful with her pelletsonce or twice a week and bits and pieces throughout theweek. 
Also, can rabbits eat sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds - if so, howmuch, how often?  I was given some pine kernels and roastedsoybeans too but I threw them out as I didn't think they'd be suitableat all.Thanks so much.

awww he is cute, good on you hun for taking him, hope you manage to bond them with out any probs.

i give caramel a handful of pellets each morning and two veg and thentwo veg in the evening and loads of hay

I have two 7 month old Harlequin/Dutch (?) mixes that both weigh about 3-4 pounds each....
I give them 1/2 cup each of pellets with 1/2 teaspoon oats mixed in.They also get half an apple (without the seeds!) split between them every morning (or a few banana slices) and then about 1 cup each of fresh veggies (red leaf, mustard greens, parsley, carrot tops, two baby carrots) every night.
My fiance's mom's friend has two Angora buns, and she mixes black oil sun flower seeds in with her bun's pellets everyday. I don't think it it necessary, really. She does it to make their coats nicer because she used their hair for spinning. If your buns are on a good quality pellet, then I think it wouldn't be useful to feed sunflower seeds.They could be used as a treat though! I am not sure of pumpkin seeds.
Hope that helps!
- Amy

This is from HRS:

fruitdaily ration no more than 1 oz. to 2 oz. per 6 lbs. body weight(because of calories) [/list]
I would split up the serving into 2 separate servings.Morning and early evening, or depending on what your bun is alreadyused to.:D

Ooooh, hehe;). I was going to say....but my buns LOVE their apple peices every morning! haha!

- Amy

The rabbit in the picture looks like a Holland lop,rabbits can eat sunflower seeds but they are very fattening.i feed a teaspoon or less occaisonally. bluebird

I wondered about the breed too - but his earsdon't look as though they're going to lop - he's quite big too and Iunderstand that lops ears often don't flop til they're older.

Either way - i don't care what he is - I'm in lurrve! When iwent to the resuce i went with 2 other bunnies in mind butwhen the lady took Neddy out of the hutch I fell for him instantly.

Latest posts

Back