New (and unexpected) Bun Momma! Hallo!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oooh I love your story, it was meant to be :)

Carefresh litter is really nice, just the plain type. It is safe for them to breathe and to ingest. Invest in a spray bottle and vinegar. Add a 1/4 vinegar to 3/4 water solution to it and viola, you have yourself a safe disinfectant for both the water dish and the litter pan. When the pan gets "crusty" soak the pan in a full vinegar solution and place it in the sun for about 15 minutes.

Apple sticks are really great for bunnies to chew on, if you have an apple tree around, just snip off some branches. No leaves from what I have heard.

Have you gotten a bunny brush yet? They molt about every 3 months, so you will be needing to brush him a lot :) And nail clippers too, I have found that the manual ones work the best as you can see the quick of the nail better than the clippers that you just press.

I also agree with the other posts that a ceramic dish is best for most bunnies. It does allow them to drink water more efficiently and it's much easier to clean.

I use this site allll the time for all my bunny treats and toys as well as purchase of the cottontail cottage that my buns love to hide in and chew to bits, I also get extra floors since they chew through those the fastest and it's cheaper than replacing the whole cottage.
http://www.catsandrabbitsandmore.com/cottontail_cottages

Find a rabbit savvy vet as you will need to get him neutered by someone who is trained in rabbitry :)

I think that's it! If I think of anything else I will pass along the info! Good luck to you and Inky :) What a sweet happy ending love connection!

Also check your local shelters. One shelter in my area has a bunny day every 2nd Saturday of the month and they sell bunny treats, hay and feed at a really great discounted price, this helps a lot since buns eat through hay like crazy and it's wallet friendly.

Aww, he's just a baby. Cute little guy! He looks to be no older than 7-8 weeks. That's great that he's settled in so well and taken to the litter box. That can sometimes be a hard skill for babies to pick up. I bet that was a surprise to find him outside his pen. Some bunnies can have quite the talent for that kind of thing. I had a bunny that did the same thing. I couldn't figure out how she was doing it until I saw her climbing up out of her pen. If your bun is doing the same thing you can zip tie some cardboard or posterboard to the top part of the pen and that will create a climbing barrier, or just put a top on. Oh, and you may want to give your electrical cords a check since he was out running around on his own. They seem to be a magnet for little bunny teeth :)

One thing you'll want to know with rabbits is that they can have sensitive digestive systems, so any new food should be introduced gradually. The exception is grass hay. It is usually well tolerated when introduced suddenly into a rabbits diet, but everything else is better if started off slowly. Also, it's usually best to wait til at least 12 weeks old before starting on veggies and fruit. I see you've already given him a bit of apple peel. If it doesn't seem to upset his digestion and there is no soft poop, then you may be ok to continue that, but it would probably be best to limit it to a very small amount each day. Too much sugar in a rabbits diet can upset their GI flora and cause serious digestive problems, so just something to be aware of.

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f28/vegetables-12009/
http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/

Also some good bunnyproofing tips.
http://bunnyproof.com/

You have to watch them little black ones. They're sneaky. And evil. Dont let the cuteness get to you. It's a dirty rotten trick!

Reactions: rew
Another Update! (sorry I didn't get any posts because my email seems to think this place is spam all of a sudden)

*I have been keeping an eye on his lil poos just in case the apples are upsetting his belly but they look the same as when he came in. I will keep an eye on it.

*I'm slowly training him to come to me and getting him used to pets (he is a little skittish) He is very food motivated so I am using that to my advantage.

*I let him go outside for 30 minutes to 1 hour a day as I work on projects outside. I half cover the top of the pen so he has a place to be shaded.

Does anyone have any suggestions for beds/hideaways for buns? He likes to be able to tuck himself away for quiet time and sleep.

... Does anyone have any suggestions for beds/hideaways for buns? He likes to be able to tuck himself away for quiet time and sleep.

Very cute little guy you found there. :bunny22:

For a hidey box just get a small cardboard box and cut a hole in it. It gives him a place to hide and something to chew on.

033.JPG

congrats! absolutely adorable! i'm glad you're keeping him! you already have a nice set up for him with hay, pellets, litterbox!! great job!!!!

Aw, such a cutie Inky is!! I'm glad you found him and rescued him from the street. Some people just don't have a heart when it comes to animals and they obviously don't care. Shame. I'm glad to hear that you and Inky are doing so well!!

He´s such a lucky boy to have you come by and find him, I hate to think what might have happened if you hadn´t gone by but it was obviously fate and now he´s safe and well. I just love the name and he is absolutely gorgeous. Looks like he´s getting used to his new home and to you. Mine love their cardboard box with the holes in it so they can run in and out and hide in there and of course, it´s free. Hoping to see more pics of this little cutie really soon.

Start him off with a cardboard box or a cement tube from a hardware store. Ours just love boxes--we have a big one with 4 boxes inside connected by holes I made--originally it had two doors, but it now has 3 openings to the outside.

Back