New and bunny travel

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StitchLover

Reaction score
I'm getting a bunny in a few weeks and have to travel 5 hours one way to get him. I'm positive his water will run out before we get home and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what I should do. I'm really lost, he's going to be my very first bunny.

How exciting your first bunny!!!! I wouldn't worry about water too much on the car ride. Chances are the rabbit won't even drink in te car, mine never do. Rabbits don't enjoy car rides and typically don't eat or drink during travel. Just make sure once you get him home and settled he has lots of fresh water, hay, food, and some veggies or treats. Rabbits can go more than five hours without water, but it is important that the rabbit be eating and drinking once he's home. You don't want him to go more than 24 hours w/o, that's dangerous.

Good luck with your new rabbit! They make amazing pets (and friends) as you'll soon see!

Welcome to RO!

Looks like you got some really good advise from caustin4 already.

Just wanted to add that maybe bring a empty jug with you and ask the person you are getting your sweet bun from for water. We did this when we went and picked up our buns. Once you get your bun home, gradually acclimate your bunny from the water they were used to, to your water. Just like you would do with changing from one brand of food to another. This really helps also. I did it over the first week that my buns were home with me.

You bunny will be fine on the ride home. I travel 12 hours round trip to bring home two of my buns. They both did well for the 6 hour drive home. We talked to them throughout the trip, just assuring them that everything was OK. Plus you can start the process of them learning their name, and your voice. Both my buns really did eat or drink on the 6 hour drive home. And each one only had one accident in the carrier. Just make sure the carrier is well secured and well padded. Once they got home they started to eat and drink right away.

Wishing you luck with your new bun. Also have a safe trip and drive carefully. If you need to stop and eat, eat in the car. It helps. I know it's not the most pleasant place to eat, but the bun knows you are still there.

Please let us know how it goes. And definitely need pics!

K:)

Thank you for all of the suggestions! I will definitely post pics. I habent gotten him yet. He isn't 8 weeks until the 21st so I have to wait just a little longer.

I know. I read so much information on rabbits in the past month its crazy. I want him sooo bad right now but I'm going to wait because I want him to be healthy.

LakeCondo wrote:
It really is important that they be 8 weeks old, & that will give you more time to read the RO library information, etc.

Unless you are a breeder,someone just getting a bunny for the first timeshould stick with 8 weeks or even 12 weeks old. Things still can happen at 8 weeks.

Just observe your bunny. Stick with a strict pellet and hay diet. Wait until 3 months to start giving veggies. 7 months to start fruit.

I didn't read much of the other posts, but I would bring a reg. bottle (16.9 oz.) of Ozarka water with me and when you take stops for yourself just fill up the water bowl. I hope you learn alot from this website. It will help alot! Also, I would love to see pictures and hope you love your baby alot!

StitchLover wrote:
I am going to wait until he's 8 weeks

8 weeks is fine. Just watch and keep a strict diet of pellets and hay. Is the person you are getting your bunny going to give you some pellets? I would ask them too, because then you will be able to transition to what you want to feed them gradually. I think you can findin the RO Library about feeding. Bunnies that young can get stressed, when moving from one place to another. Let your bunny get acclimated to his/her surroundings, spend time sitting by your bunnies crate or Nic Unit, and talk to him/her. It helps them start to trust you and will alleviate that stress.

Just suggestions to help. They are so cute at that age!

I would like to welcome you to Rabbits Online, my name is Dave and I am a moderator on the forum. So if I can be of any help please let me know. This is a terrific website for rabbits and their slaves, not only is it very active but also friendly. I am so glad you’re here and I know you will enjoy it.

Many bunnies’ recommend their slaves to this site so we may learn of others methods to keeping our furry masters happy.

If you everhave a sick bunny, please post in The Infirmary and include your rabbit's age, breed and health history as well diet and output details leading up to the problem.

Here are somelinks I thought you might find interesting:

*For reference the Library section

*To brag or tell everyone about the antics of your bunny or just to talk about your day here is where to start a Bunny Blog, you can also look back at it later and remember when you had a life before your bunny.

*Now all the bunny’s like talk to each other when we mere slaves aren’t around in the Bunny Chat is the spot to be.

*The House Rabbit Society has a lot of good information on what veggies are safe for bunny’s, etc.

*Here is a link to learn what your furry master is trying to say to you How to Understand Your Bunny's Language

*Rabbits Online also has regional forums , this a good way to find a vet in your area that has experience with rabbits and to find out from other nearby of good sources of rabbit supplies.

The Let Your Hare Down section is for anything non-bunny related.

Here is a link tothat will help you and your bunny to connect, How to Bond with Your Bunny.

Now every forum has rules and ours can be found with this link Rabbits Online Forum Rules. This gives guidelines on what is acceptable, what is not and how we hope everyone will treat each other.

Everyone on this forum loves to see pictures of each other’s bunnies. So if you would like to post a picture this link will help you do that, Upload Photo's to Photo Gallery. Then in the post, you click on the "G" in the tool bar to insert your photo. Many people also use Photobucket. You just copy the img file and paste it into the post.

Don’t hesitate to ask questions and I am glad you have joined rabbits online; I look forward to seeing you around.

Rabbit cage is finally clean and ready for Mr. Stitch. Unfortuantely his homecoming has been delayed and might not happen at all now. :(

There's just timing issues we have to figure out. I hope I'll be able to get a bunny. I've wanted one since I was little.

Latest posts

Back