New Addition

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toady

Reaction score
Yesterday I took my angora girl Ash up to the 'bunny vet' who's 2 hours drive away for spaying, while she was at the vets waiting for her surgery I went to a nearby bunny rescue sanctuary that I had discovered online, I had been chatting with the sanctuary owner about one of the bunnies that they had come in; a wooly little guy, I had a look at the other bunnies as well but the little wooly guy kept drawing my attention, he just let us walk over and pick him up from the free ranging area he was in and let us get rid of some mats.

I also got a free check up voucher so I went back to the vets and he got the all clear, he has a scar on one eye from a previous infection but it shouldn't affect his sight too much. The vet let me put him in their 'day care' for the few hours while Ash was still in surgery. Ash took a bit longer to recover but is fine this morning, she's not happy about been confined to her crate for the next few days.

Here's the new little fella, still haven't got a name for him. He had a heap of old fur from a moult but I managed to pluck out a heap of it and he doesn't look as rough

WB1.jpg

Edited for better picture

Last edited:
Congrats on the adorable new addition!

I'm nearing an upcoming spay too. Good to hear another success story to ease my worries :)

Lisa I was so worried about Ash going in for her spay but knowing she was at a vets who had done a lot of work with rabbits (the bunny sanctuary uses them), Ash seems better this morning but I'm trying to keep her as quiet as possible.

Yes I've heard the down time required after is difficult. I know it will be for Agnes. Shes gonna wonder why she's "trapped" in her cage!

I just found a vet who does spays a lot too. It helps my worrying a bit but I'm still a nervous wreck!!

Here's a few more pictures I just took about 15 minutes ago, he also now has a name; Loki. And he lives up to it, woke up this morning to find he had thrown his temp water and food dishes around and was trying to flip his litter tray. He's out and about now cause I just cleaned his soft crate out (had to get the mop to get the spilt water), this afternoon I'll be getting some nice heavy ceramic dishes.

loki16a.jpg

loki16b.jpg

loki16c.jpg

Oh my goodness, he is the cutest little fluffball! He looks like a fuzzy lop. So cute!! How is he settling in? And how is Ash doing? Bunny surgery is so stressful, sorry to hear she took a while to come out of it but good she's doing alright now. Just remember to limit her activity, check her stitches, and give her pain meds :)

That is wonderful you were able to save him! I adore his ears :inlove:

Glad Ash made it through ok, the confinement is the hardest part. Are you planning to bond the two of them once she is healed? The would make the cutest couple.

The idea is to bond them, but not sure how it'll go as Ash is quite a dominant bunny and Loki seems to be quite submissive. But I did wake up this morning to a rather musky odour in the bunny area, the vet who checked Loki out said that he had been neutered as she could feel some scar tissue where his bits had been.

Is it normal for them to still have this smell? I don't know his age but could it be that he's in a new place and has to 'add his smell' so to speak, he was living outside in a big area with other bunnies so probably doesn't have a lot of 'inside manners'... yet.

And Ash is going well, I'm checking her incision once or twice a day and it's looking good (bit hard to find the small area they shaved amongst her fluff) and yesterday afternoon had a call from the vet surgery to see how Ash was going, I said she was fine and everything looks OK. I think it's lovely that they call to check up

So thrilled that Ash is doing well. And it is nice to have a Vet that caring to give you a call to see how their patient is doing. Have a thoughtful Vet too. Eases my mind knowing that.

Willard had an odd smell when I first bought him home after rescuing him. But after a few days, it kind of dissipated. I think once he settles in, and you give him your special TLC, the musky smell could go away.

Now that Ash is spayed, it could tone down her dominance and make it easier for you to introduce Loki. Wishing you the best with the bonding.

K:)

Thank you to all, this morning I let Ash out for a hop while I put more hay in and filled up the food and water bowl, she hopped over to where Loki's temporary crate is and they had a sniff through the mesh and I heard some soft scratching on both sides but told them they'll have to wait at least a week before they can meet each other through a wire pen panel, I want to make sure Ash's incision has completely healed.

Loki meanwhile has no manners, I've seen he tips over his litter tray of a night and threw the toilet roll stuffed with hay around. I still believe he was an outdoor bunny before he got to the sanctuary and it'll take a bit of time for him to get use to been a 'house bunny'. I've also ordered a smaller (3ft) crate for him and the plan is to get some 2x4 untreated pine and make a basic stand to go over the top of Ash's bigger 4ft crate so I can stack one on top of the other... and if they bond and I don't need the smaller crate then I'll have a stand to store their food etc on.

I can hear munching while Ash is enjoying some fresh red lettuce, celery tops and bok choy, I gave Loki a lettuce leaf and some celery tops but am not going to crowd him with lots of green stuff til he settles in and his system gets use to the new food and what not.

I discovered what the smell was, Loki had a cecotrope stuck to the fluff around his bum and a bunch on the blanket in his bed... so the blankets out to get washed and I cut the fluff off, hopefully the smell will disappear now I've removed the source. I think the change of diet and new environment is the cause for his excess cecotropes, that or he didn't eat them all. I'm glad he's not spraying!

Glad to hear you found the source of the odd smell from Loki. Poor thing, it just seems to happen to some with a major change happening. He will be right in no time under your TLC. And will be a well mannered "House" bunny in no time.

And truly glad Ash is doing well. Hoping her confinement goes quickly for her, and she gets to start the bonding with Loki. I really think it will work out well this way. It gives Ash time to recooperate and Loki time to settle in and you really get to know him. I really think it was a smart move to help make this bonding successful.

Please keep us updated.

K:)

Ash is getting some 'outside' time, this morning it was about 10 minutes while I changed litter and gave her fresh water and food, she didn't seem interested in this strange thing next to her crate, instead was more interested in the hay that had spilt on the floor from the 'bale bag'.

Loki still knocks his food bowl around and the shredded paper in his bed box seems to be a hit, I can see he's made a little divot in it to sleep in but he needs to learn not to pee on his hay!!

Loki's new crate arrived yesterday and I set it up today (cleaned Ash's crate as well so they're both nice and clean), right now he's bashing and crashing in there but I can hear the rustling of hay so at least he's eating... and he loves his pellets.

cages1.jpg

You can see Ash's bigger crate on the left and Loki's on the right, they can now see each other with a few feet in between. I think it'll take some time until he settles as a 'house bunny', I'm under the impression that he was always an outdoors bun and not handled a lot

Latest posts

Back