New Addition Questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PlasM

Reaction score
I hope someone can help, I didn't envisage having this problem!

Right, my little boy seemed very lonely and sad as of late. So not too long ago I picked up a little rescue girlfriend for him.

He's about 8 months old, and the new girlie is 4 months. It really seems to be love, but we have a slight problem. He has a little TOO much love for her, if ya know what I mean. :shock:

He tries to mount her after about ten minutes of being around her. There's no nastiness involved I'm just a bit worried of him either getting stroppy or hurting the poor lass. So far I've just been saying "oi" to him, moving him and telling him to mind his manners. :? But he's back to it within 5 mins or so.

He's twice her size.

So my question is, do I just let them sort themselves out, or is there some other thing to do? I forgot to mention, he was neutered a couple of months ago so there won't be any babies either way.

I hope someone can shed some light, I don't know if it's some dominance thing or if he does just fancy her, and I'm not sure what to do! They aren't together all of the time yet, they're seperate but so that they can smell eachother most of the time, and they're out together a few times a day too for as long as possible (supervised.)

I feel so bad asking you guys questions here all the time and not having any knowledge to put back into the place.:p

Thank you all so much for your help in the past and hopefully for any advice you can give me regarding this.

I don't know enough about bonding to help you....as I've not yet done it, myself...

But I wanted to let you know...it's totally fine being here as someone that needs help more often than can help others. It takes a lot of time to learn about buns and their ins and outs. There are SO MANY THING about bunnies to learn!

So, don't worry...we all so love to help one another.

Sometime soon, you'll see a thread that contains something you already have knowledge in, and you'll be pleased you got to help someone. :)

PlasM wrote:
I feel so bad asking you guys questions here all the time and not having any knowledge to put back into the place.:p

Thank you all so much for your help in the past and hopefully for any advice you can give me regarding this.

So are they fighting at all? Any kind of agression or just the mounting?

How does your new girl take it the mounting, will she just sit there or does she seem annoyed by it? Does anyone present themselves for grooming or anything like that?

If there is no aggression - like he doesn't look like he is going to attack her, you should let him mount her and let them work out who is dominant. I think I read somewhere that if you interrupt the dominance behaviour, they just have to do it again the next time rather than if they establish it once....

Stay close when he does so you can stop any agressive behavior and watch them closely, but maybe let him mount her and see what happens - they will probably work it out. A little mounting and chasing is ok as long as it's not fighting.

;)

OH, also, are you introducing them in an area that is neutral to both of them?A place where your guy doesn't think it's his area? That might help as well - try letting them have time in the bathtub, or on the bed, or somewhere they have never been.

No there's no aggression. She does just sit there. He's grooming her to begin with then gets a bit frisky. All the while she just sits there!

Yes it is a neutral area. :)

Thank you maherwoman, I've always thought this place was lovely and friendly, so I figured noone would mind; I just feel all greedy. :p

So we reckon just let them get on with it but keep an eye on them and intervene if one or both get nasty? And at 4 months she isn't going to get hurt?

Hmm.. he's twice her size you say? That does seem like it will be rather annoying for her. The other option is to keep them housed next to each other and give her some more time to grow up a bit.

What will likely happen, if she will hit puberty soon and start to get territorial and fighting might start when she decides she wants to be the leader. May not happen, but it's possible since she is still so young.

I would not house them together until she's older and spayed. Use your judgement I guess. If it looks like he will hurt her, then don't let him mount her and limit play time.

:D Have any pictures of your two??

Oooh now I'm not sure what to do!

I suppose I'll just see how it goes, it'll have to be supervised playtime for a little while yet! Sorry boy!

And pictures? Only a few so far! Figuring out the new camera!

Newbaby003.jpg

Newbaby005.jpg

Newbaby006-1.jpg

There ya go!

You are ALWAYS welcome to post questions here! Don't ever feel bad asking about your buns!

As long as he isn't biting her, it's a dominance issue. As Honeypot mentioned, it could all change as she gets older, bigger and more mature. I agree with the suggestion you keep them housed seperate, but next to each other for now. (I've only bonded bunnies once, but it can be a "one step foward, two steps back" process sometimes. Stay flexible.)

They are adorable! What a cute couple! Figure out that camera so you can keep the pictures coming!

Latest posts

Back