Never leaving his box, should I remove it?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mubunny

Reaction score
Poplar hasn't left his box for anything but his litter box in close to three days. He stretches to his food dish without having his hind legs leave the box and I think he is getting his water just from veggies. He won't even leave for treats, veggies left out of the range of his box will just sit there and wilt.
He has always been a box dweller since I brought him home but he has been really antisocial lately and has began to jump at every noise just when he started to calm down. He doesn't touch any of his toys except his chew stick which he has brought into the box. It doesn't seem healthy for a bunny to just lay around all day. Should I take away his box or is there something I can to to help him relax?

I have one bunny that is like that as well. She has one box that she sits in and one litter box. She will reach over the edge of the box to get to her pellets and she rarely leaves.

Lately, she has been coming out of her box to rip up some paper or to eat her pellets in the morning. She will reach out to get her first mouthful and then hop out to be able to eat faster.

She seems perfectly happy, and she is also a super friendly bunny, so I don't worry too much.

If your guy is happy in his box, then I would leave it for him. He will start venturing out when he is comfortable.

I hang Sugar's water bottle so the spout is accessible from her box.

-Dawn

I'd be tempted to get a vet check just to make sure that there isn't a physical problem making him more nervous. If he's ill his instinct will be to put himself at less risk by hiding more.

Don't take the box away, it's his safe place and if you take it away he'll be stressed out. Rabbit's need a bolt hole where they feel safe. You need to try and encourage him to come out of his own accord.

You could cover part of the cage with a blanket to make it feel more enclosed. Give him extra boxes and link them with tunnels with multiple exits. That way he can move around a wider area while still being able to get under cover quickly.

What's on the floor? If it's slippy like lino/tile cover it with something that has more grip like a rug.

Have their been any changes in your home recently that could have upset him, a new pet etc.??

I've put down cardboard for the floor. He seemed to come out a bit more before when he had towel down but he was chewing the towel and eating a bit of it so I change it. He's pretty new so moving could have upset him but he did recently get fixed so maybe I should take him to the vet to make sure he is healing fine.

Latest posts

Back