Neuters went great, and now they're fighing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Topaz

Reaction score
Some may remember my two dwarf buns, Marlowe and Jasper, who were having aggression problems towards each other. It -seemed- to die after their neuter last week, until 2 days ago.

Marlowe was chasing Jasper around pulling out mouthfuls of hair again. We were trying to figure a way to turn the pen into 2 cages when the fighting stopped and cuddling began. We hoped they worked out their problems, so we left them be, and happiness resumed in the house hold...for 2 days.

Just a moment ago I witnessesed them fighting. Of course, again, it was Marlowe chasing Jasper pulling out mouthfuls of hair. This time they also jumped in the air and kicked at each other. I am, once again, trying to figure out how to turn the pen cage into 2 cages, as I have no spare bun cages, and no spare NIC's at the moment.

Any ideas of what to do to bring these guys together? What could have caused this aggression? Will they learn to trust and bond with each other when their hormones are completly out of their bodies? I was thinking of starting from scratch and intro'ing them.

ETA: I just noticed that both times these fights borke out was a couple hours after cleaning the cage (which I do every 2 days.) Am I erasing all their scent and irritating them?

After their neuters they probably smelled similar and they were sore. Now they are back to normal but after some time the testosterone in their system will go away. You'll probably have to work at bonding them if you want them to be free to play together.

:yeahthat:
plus, when they were recovering they probably didn't have enough energy to fight. I've found out the hard way that you need to give PLENTY of time for testosterone to clear the system (one bunny got a bite in a sensitive area!), and even then, things might be difficult to make them get along. Some bunnies are just mean and like to bite (like my Tony).:cry1:

Thanks everyone for the replies. I had them separated last night for a couple hours (one in the cage, one free ranging in the kitchen,) and before bed I let Jasper back in the cage. After that, there has been nothing but cuddling again. I am so confused! :shock:

Jealousy maybe? or just deciding who is dominant when out of the cage?

Bo and Clover will deal with each other if there is no access to their cages.... but if I let Clover get into Bo's cage - there's war!

Hmm, perhaps? They were fighting in the cage, then I let them out. Then they fought outside the cage for a while, and we kept separating them with the broom. They're weird.

Latest posts

Back