Neutering?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merf

Reaction score
So I am a first time rabbit owner and I have been reading a lot about rabbits. It's recommended that I neuter Dopey after 4 months to prevent cancer and "spraying."Do I reallyhave to neuter him? I've never heard of a rabbit being neutered.

Do you HAVE to neuter him? No. But it is better for him, and will be better for you, too. How old is he right now? He will begin to spray at about 4-5 months, depending on his breed. (Smaller breeds mature faster.) He may also hump you, stuffed animals, the cat, anything that he can get ahold of. A neutered buck is almost always calmer, friendlier and more cuddly than an intact male.

Sadly, a lot of people have "never heard of" neutering/spaying rabbits. It is, however, just as recomended for a rabbit as for a cat or a dog. Plus the fact that rabbits can reproduce much faster and at higher rates than cats or dogs. I don't know if you have any other rabbits, but I will throw this in just as an interesting rabbit fact. A doe rabbit in constant contact with a buck can, and will, have a litter every four weeks. Rabbits do not go into heat, they can get pregnant at any time. And it only takes about ten seconds to happen! Congratulations on getting your little guy, and welcome to RO. :biggrin2:

Because Iwork at a shelter most of the bucks coming in are un-neutered. They spray urine which has a very strong odor, are sometimes aagressive and many times won't use the litterbox An intact rabbit has hormonally driven behaviors.
A neutered/spayed animal makes a better pet.

Thanks for all the advice!

Dopey is an American Lop and is 5 months old. I have not seen spraying or humping anything, but he is litter trained. I will get him neutered since it is better for his health, I just wanted opinions on it first since it's kind of expensive.

Try asking at your local shelter/Humane Society. Sometime they can get you discounts on spay/neuters.

I would recommend it. I thought it was funny to when i had heard it for the first time. That was until my sister and i had 3 bucks. THey sprayed everything, including me. We have then gotten rid of all those rabbits and i have gotten two new ones since may and they are now both neutered... it helps with thier attitude, they dont smell, and dont hump eachother. Very friendly too. I was wondering how much it would cost you where ever u live

Latest posts

Back