Neutering rabbit.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magicapple

Reaction score
I don't know where to find a vet, I don't know how much it's going to cost for the neutering? And what happens if I don't neutered it?

Under 'Rabbits Only Resource Center' There is a topic called 'Rabbit Savvy Vets: By Location' that should help with finding a vet. My friend's male rabbit cost around $50-$60 to be neuteredbut I know it cancost a lot more than that. If you don't get your rabbit neutered, it can change personalities, get mean, and spray. I don't think ALL rabbits do that when they're in puberty, but I know that most do. I would get it fixed because the spraying is pretty nasty.

Also, if you don't get your rabbit neutered then you really shouldn't get a second one. Rabbits that aren't neutered can get very territorial and are more likely to fight with other rabbits.

The price really depends on the vet. Males are usually less expensive, though.

The link for the New York vet listing is here:

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11622&forum_id=9

magicapple wrote:
aww, going to be costly. =( It's much easier to adopt one. It's aready neutered and spayed.
Yes it is, but you already have Mario. He's more likely to get upset about a new rabbit or want to have sex with it constantly if he's not neutered.

Sometimes shelters have low-cost spay/neuter programs. They don't always include rabbits, but it's worth it to call and ask.

I am in NY, too. Dr. Jennifer Saver of Catnip and Carrots specializes in cats and rabbits only (and small mammals) She is listed on the New York City chapter of the House Rabbit Society. Go to www.rabbitcare.org for listings of rabbit-savvy vets in New York.

Here is Dr. Saver's location info. I HIGHLY recommend her.

Saver, Jennifer L DVM - Catnip & Carrots Veterinary Web Site

Address:
2221 Hillside Ave, New Hyde Park, NY 11040

Phone:
(516) 877-7080

TrixieRabbit wrote:
I am in NY, too. Dr. Jennifer Saver of Catnip and Carrots specializes in cats and rabbits only (and small mammals) She is listed on the New York City chapter of the House Rabbit Society. Go to http://www.rabbitcare.org for listings of rabbit-savvy vets in New York.

Here is Dr. Saver's location info. I HIGHLY recommend her.

Saver, Jennifer L DVM - Catnip & Carrots Veterinary Web Site

Address:
2221 Hillside Ave, New Hyde Park, NY 11040

Phone:
(516) 877-7080
What boro is she in?

She is on Long Island. Here is a list of vets in NYC:

MANHATTAN:
Becky Campbell, DVM
Carol Martin, MB, MRCVS

Symphony Veterinary Center
698 Amsterdam Avenue
(between 93rd & 94th Streets)
(212) 866-8000
Click to view map

BROOKLYN:
Lori Bierbrier, DVM
Hope Veterinary Clinic
390 Atlantic Avenue
Boerum Hill
(718) 852-4219
[font="Times New Roman, Times, serif"]Click to view map [/font]

WESTCHESTER COUNTY:
Gil Stanzione, DVM
381 Dobbs Ferry Road
White Plains
(914) 421-0020
Click to view map

[font="Times New Roman, Times, serif"]LONG ISLAND:[/font][font="Times New Roman, Times, serif"][/font][font="Times New Roman, Times, serif"]
[/font]
[font="Times New Roman, Times, serif"]Jennifer Saver, DVM
Laura George, DVM

Catnip & Carrots Veterinary Hospital
2221 Hillside Avenue
New Hyde Park
(516) 877-7080
Open Saturdays and Sundays!
Click to view map
[/font]

[font="Times New Roman, Times, serif"]Heidi Hoefer, DVM
West Hills Animal Hospital
800 West Jericho Turnpike
Huntington
(631) 351-6116
Click to view map

Brian Rose, DVM
Jeff Rose, DVM

Jefferson Animal Hospital
606 Patchogue Rd (Rte 112)
Port Jefferson Station
(631) 473-0415
Click to view map
[/font]

Ryo's spay was 180 and the cost of another vet visit to get her staples tooken out, and the cost of meds, so over 200 dollars total.

but a nueter doesnt cost that much. i think 80 bucks?

i know when they nuetered a rat from me (yes they can nueter rats) it was just 40 dollars

My Fred's neuter was $90 Canadian, so I imagine $80 American is about right.

Remember to ask and make sure that the vet uses iso gas to put the rabbits under. You might also want to ask if they leave the wound open or close it. I've read that closed is preferred, but my vet leaves them open. Zorro has healed, and Fred is healing : )

so all I do is call a vet, make a appointment and bring my rabbit and about 100$ with me to the vet. so that's all I need?

magicapple wrote:
so all I do is call a vet, make a appointment and bring my rabbit and about 100$ with me to the vet. so that's all I need?

First call and ask how much an initial visit is. If you have never taken your bunny to the vet before, the vet may want to check to make sure of the sex of the rabbit, as well as make sure there are no other health conditions that may be impacted by surgery and that your bun is sexually mature enough for spay/neuter. In other words, to give your bun the "go ahead" to be fixed. You might just want to call the vet first, say you are new at this and ask them to please explain. Most vets are really clear on what goes on and what it all entails....

Latest posts

Back