neutering my rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunterbaby05

Reaction score
I made a appointment to neuter my Flemish giant. The vet seems to know bunnies I have taken my Flemish several times. I am concerned because the vet told me there is a increased risk in rabbits for anestesia is designed for dogs and cats. He said they do spay neuters on rabbits all the time and haven't lost one in a very long time. I don't want to lose my baby. Has anyone been through this here? I need to ease my nerves.

I think a good number of us here have been through this, I really wouldn't worry. While it can be a bit scary, your bun will be just fine! My lil man was neutered at 5 months and he did fine, he was at the vet for a few hours and by the time we got home he was already hopping around and chowing down. :hug1

While there is always a risk when any animals are under anesthesia, it is true that rabbits are a fragile species and the vet really needs to be experienced with them. However, with a good vet, and all the medical advances made in the last few years, it's not a common occurance. Neuters are generally much easier thans spays as well because they are not as invasive. Many of us have been through it and our buns pulled through just fine. It's always scary and it's natural to worry but it should all be alright :)

Was a worrier too.
Though it won't stop you worrying, hope this eases your mind a little. They made out just fine. And have turned into such sweet gentlemen at 1 year old.

Let us know how your bunny does.

K:)

Thankyou everyone. :) I feel a bit better now so hopefully all goes smoothly for my big lovebug. He is the friendliest rabbit we have but am really having a problem with him spraying everything and anything! (Including me) my big baby goes off to the vet may 10th so I will deft tell everyone how it goes. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back