Neutering my Rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raid3n

Reaction score
Hello wonderful people of RO! :wave:

I have a male mini rex who is 3 months old now, and I was just wondering how important it is to have him neutered or is it even needed at all, provided I have no intention on breeding of course. Basically, I'm wondering about the advantages and disadvantages of it through personal experience I'm sure many of you have had!

I'm also considering getting a second rabbit. Haven't thought of breed or gender. So would that decision also have an impact on getting him neutered or not?

p.s. this is my first pet so i'm a newbie when it comes to all this :$

- Raiden and Cadbury

:bunnydance:

I think neutering is very important for a number of reason for a male rabbit.

First reason being that it reduces cancer risks.

Second is for behaviour, a male rabbit will start humping anything that moves once they hit puberty, and can start spraying. Having them neutered nice and early will help curb this behaviour.

Third is for bonding. I would never advise bonding unaltered rabbits, they are too hormonal and territorial. Once desexed, they are much easier to bond and have very little risk of fighting once bonded.

And last, for the rabbit's sanity. They have such high hormone levels that they are always sexually excited and ready for mating. Could you imagine going around your entire life really, really wanting to mate and not a female in sight? It would drive me crazy, so I help my buns out by having them neutered!

-Dawn

:yeahthat: my standard rex buck has been neutered with no problems. he's a calm gentle husbun to roxy. their bonding was much easier once he was neutered too as he no longer tried to mate with her constantly - which she hated. her first mate had died and she is a very quite soul:D

Thanks for the replies I appreciate it. Helps me decide to go through and get my rabbit neutered. Now what do you suppose a good age is to do so? Right now Cadbury is 3 months.

- Raiden and Cadbury

:bunnydance:

With a mini-rex, his testicles could descend as early as 4 months. Rabbits are capable of retracting their testicles up into their body to hide them, so you may not be able to see them right away.

You could start calling around to different Rabbit Savvy Vets, and see what age they are willing to do neuters at and what the prices are. Then, you can start setting money aside and take him in once his testicles drop.

Here is our list of rabbit savvy vets in Ontario:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12548&forum_id=9

-Dawn

aurora369 wrote:
With a mini-rex, his testicles could descend as early as 4 months. Rabbits are capable of retracting their testicles up into their body to hide them, so you may not be able to see them right away.

You could start calling around to different Rabbit Savvy Vets, and see what age they are willing to do neuters at and what the prices are. Then, you can start setting money aside and take him in once his testicles drop.

Here is our list of rabbit savvy vets in Ontario:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12548&forum_id=9

-Dawn

That is great. I shall start calling tomorrow! Hopefully find a great vet for Cadbury!

- Raiden and Cadbury

I had my mini rex mix neutered a few weeks ago. He was almost 6 months old...I wish I had neutered him a little earlier because he started "marking" his bonded French Lop when they were playing. He would jump over him and spray...it was pretty gross.
Both my boys are neutered and I wouldn't have it any other way. Less odor to their urine, cancer risk severely decreased, less desire to mark, seem to be more relaxed therefore it was easier to bond them to each other and me.

Fynnagin wrote:
I had my mini rex mix neutered a few weeks ago. He was almost 6 months old...I wish I had neutered him a little earlier because he started "marking" his bonded French Lop when they were playing. He would jump over him and spray...it was pretty gross.
That is pretty gross. I'd feel the same way if I were in your shoes. But yes, I'm definitely going to go through with it within the month. Got exams on my mind at the moment so gotta get that done, then I'll get Cadbury neutered!

How are they after being neutered? Did you notice any affect in behaviour in a negative sense?

Back