Neutering and Bonding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitchellfoster

Reaction score
I had my two boys, Tobias and Balthazar, neutered May 26. When would it be best to start the bonding process? Or, more importantly, how long will it take for their hormones to work out of their system? I haven't really yet noticed a change in behavior. I know many people say wait until the 8-week mark before bonding, but I feel like that's an awfully long time.

May 26? Do you mean March 26?

Most people advise 4-6 weeks. I would say try it at 4 weeks and see how they do. If they immediately start fighting or humping, maybe wait a couple more weeks. If they're able to be relatively calm, then I think you'd be fine to continue.

I actually meant April. Not sure where I got May from :p

Does neutering often result in stranger behavior, as well? Ever since their operation, both have been very keen on digging.

Sometimes the hormones go a little crazy after neutering before they begin to die down. The digging can also be the result of them getting into the bunny adolescent phase and not really related to the hormones or neuter.

Ms Buns was spayed on Monday this week, and since then, I've noticed that she's been digging more than usual as well. (She's recovering very well.)

My other rabbit, Mr Bighead, also neutered from Monday, is acting normally. Possibly, just post-fixing behaviour?

Back