Neutering a Mature Rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ender

Reaction score
I made an appointment in two weeks to get Ronin neutered. We spoke to our friend who is a vet (doesn't do rabbits though) and said it might help to do some training with him to see if it helps his behavior. The only negative thing he does is tries to mount me a lot and will not stop circling me which is cute but becomes annoying when he starts to mount me. Has anyone been able to do some training to get a rabbit to stop this? I am finding it hard to believe because he gets so obsessed over mounting and it's very hard to stop him sometimes. Will the neutering help? He is four years old.

Harvey used to be like that before I got him neutered. The neuter got rid of all that unwanted mounting. I tried training him to stop but like you said it was obsessive, plus it got worse. There was no stopping him other than keeping him caged all the time and away from the cats.

I'm having the same dilema with getting Ripley neutered. I really doubt he'll stop.

I think they would stop. The behavior is about hormones.Remove the drive and it should remove the need so to speak.

Nancy McClelland wrote:
Hutch was the pestiest of rabbits til neutered--I really like being around him now. Ted was 7 when we got him and had him neutered--no problems at all.

Seven! That's reassuring.
He's going Thursday. I heard that they are not supposed to jump up on anything post op. What do you do for little boxes and houses (he has a cardboard box that he sleeps in and jumps up on) while they are on the mend?

Latest posts

Back