Neutering a Flemish?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miyumiyu

Reaction score
So I made an appointment with my vet to get my Flemish boy Jinglebell neutered in early September, when he'll be 14 weeks. I keep reading that boy rabbits can be fixed once they're 3 1/2 months of age, but it just occurred to me today that it might be different for him since he's a giant breed?

I just read on another website that giants don't reach sexual maturity for a good 8 months! Did I make a boo-boo? I'm going to feel like such an idiot if I have to call that nice receptionist back and cancel my appointment :baghead

I have a female flemish giant that is about 5 or 6 months now and I made the same boo boo :) I guess that because they are a giant breed they do take longer to mature physically. I had to cancel my appointment as well! I was told (by other owners) that I could have her spayed once she hits 8 months. When I called the vet, I wasn't asked the breed so I personally think that they should be asking this when a person makes an appointment but whatever! I think it would be best to wait- that way your rabbit can mature as much as it needs to before neutering. It may be different for males and females of the breed- perhaps because for the females it's an invasive procedure??? Good luck!

Thanks for the quick reply! They're closed now, so I'm going to call them back tomorrow and apologize for my mistake. I know I should have thought about it earlier, but it honestly never occurred to me that giants would have longer before they reached sexual maturity. I'm just glad I caught it before I drove an hour out of my way just to be told I had to wait longer!

I agree that it would be a good idea to ask the breed of rabbit while scheduling the appointment. Perhaps they just assumed that the rabbit owners would be aware of the proper time. I swear I've read dozens of articles about rabbit health and wellness, but not one of them mentioned a different neutering time for giants until I specifically sought it out, fffff.

If his testicles have descended, he can be neutered, but some vets do like to wait until the larger breeds are a little older.

I have an ELop which is considered a large breed (males get 10-11 lbs) He's going on 3.5 mos. and is doing almost everything a teenage boy would do...circling, scent marking with pewps, stinking like a skunk when he's circling even! Everything but chinning...or humping. Nothing has descended though and from all I've read, as soon as they descend, its time to snip. I've also heard that may be 7 months. Blurgh! I sure hope he doesn't start spraying! I'll diaper that butt!

Yep, with boys it tends to be if the testicles have dropped or not. So take a peek, lol.

Latest posts

Back