neutered rabbit questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeniferdwn

Reaction score
I am upset and want to cry. I just picked up my male lion head from the vet. He was neutered. O brought him home and he immediately started humping my female. I've had to keep them seperated since February and the vet that sees rabbits finally came back from medical leave. I got the male fixed instead of the female because they said he would stop humping. They also didn't say anything about her still being able to get pregnant for several weeks. Is this true?? Will the female eventually make him stop? How can I know if she is already pregnant? My son left the gate open one time and I'm not sure what happened that time. Its been at least 2 weeks. I'm just frustrated.

It will take a while for the hormones to summer down. Wait a few weeks before you put them in a cage together.

In case she's pregnant from the time before, start doing some research on pregnant rabbits. Get or make a nest box.

You need to keep them separated for 4-6 weeks, as he is still fertile and will still be hormonal. The vet should have told you all of this. There is a good chance your female may now be pregnant, if she wasn't already. Around 3-4 weeks you may be able to gently feel her stomach and see if you can feel movement, but you usually just have to wait the 30-32 days to see if she has babies, and put in a nestbox and big pile of hay around day 28.

Even with your male neutered and waiting the 4-6 weeks, there is a chance your females hormones could make rebonding difficult, and you may need to get her spayed as well(along with reducing her cancer risks). And even spayed, you may still encounter problems rebonding.

You should write a letter of complaint to that vet office.

I do plan on getting her fixed too. I don't work during the summer so I probably can't do another one until school starts back.
I will look up the nesting boxes.
I have been with this vets office for many years. There is one vet there I personally don't care for but she is the only one in town that sees "exotic" animals and she is very good. My mom loves her. We just had a difference of opinion once. Other than today I can honestly say I have never had a complaint about this office! They are wonder full. This has shocked me!!

Latest posts

Back