Neutered and Eating issues. WORRIED BUNNY MOM!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acdcfan23

Reaction score
Okay my male bunny went in Wednesday to be neutered (it is now friday) and since then hasent normally been eating. He's nibbled on some hay, ate a few treats and a few pellets and some apple and kale. Also enjoyed some baby food. But he hasn't pooped yet...is this ok or normal or should I call the vet or syringe feed some pellets?!

If he hasn't pooped, you definitely need to bring him to a vet. Sometimes anesthesia can cause what is called "GI stasis" where their intestines slow down too much and he may need some supportive care until he can get started again.

One thing you can do is try to syringe feed him Critical Care if you can get your hands on it. It's very good for rabbits with GI issues.

If he hasn't pooped, you definitely need to bring him to a vet. Sometimes anesthesia can cause what is called "GI stasis" where their intestines slow down too much and he may need some supportive care until he can get started again.

One thing you can do is try to syringe feed him Critical Care if you can get your hands on it. It's very good for rabbits with GI issues.

Literally as I was reading this I looked at him and he was pooping.

Since he wasn't eating, but was drinking, I suspect he was feeling a lot of pain. Most Vets give some pain meds after neuter for that reason. I'm glad to hear he is pooping now. If he wasn't I would have rushed to vet, even just one day without pooping and eating is considered a medical emergency.

Yah shortly before he pooped I gave him his second dose of pain meds so that's sounds about right.

Super excited to see poop. Was getting worried...is the fact that he's not eating normally okay. I mean he just nibbles on things here and there?

Some rabbits get more 'traumatized' than other by that kind of unpleasant experience - my Tybalt was eating one hour after waking up whereas Aki stayed hidden under the bed for days and didn't want anyone touching her hindquarter for more than a month afterward (even her husbunny). I would offer lots of very tempting things (maybe second crop hay, carrot, parsnip, mint, parsley...). As long as he is pooping and eating some, I would just keep an eye on him for the week-end to let him settle down. If it is not better by monday (or before if you notice small poops, not eating...) it will be time for some critical care and maybe some reglan if the guts slow dow. Keep on giving metacam and check the stitches daily to make sure there is no inflammation (redness, swelling) and that your bunny doesn't nibble on them.
I hope he'll be back to normal soon!

Back