Neuter info

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thumper110814

Reaction score
First time bunny parent. I took my bunny Thumper to the vet a couple days ago for a check up and to schedule a time to get him neutered. He is almost 6 months old. The only thing the vet told me about the surgery is to keep him in his cage for a week (he is used to free run around in the living room). I read some threads here about neutering and most of you say pain med would be helpful. What else should I know??? I'm worried because Thumper was very scared when we visited the vet and I feel like I didn't get much info.

Plus, the vet required the physical $46 before the surgery $240. I don't mind spending the money but I worry he is not getting a good care.

Vet is right on the staying in the cage for a week, this is to ensure that the rabbit doesnt bust any stitches. The vet should also prescribe your bun some Meloxicam for pain. (I paid $30~ for a bottle the first time and its been used on 2 other rabbits since then.) If you have any questions on how you should medicate your bun ensure you ask them when you pick it back up and they should show you how with a syringe and some water if its not med time yet. (Mine always had to stay the night they just want to monitor everything has gone well) Just monitor the site for any crusting which is a sign of infection and make sure its healing properly. My buns usually get out of the pain rut around day 4-5 at which point I would give them limited time out of the cage on say the bed where I can ensure they arent trying to run a marathon up and down the hallway or anything crazy.

If you have any questions about the quality of your vet google is pretty good with that, read the reviews.

I agree that keeping him in his cage for a week is necessary. I think my vet said 3 to 5 days, but a little longer wouldn't hurt. He may not like it, but he will get over it. A new chew toy might help easy any bordem he gets while in the cage longer than usual. I also think the pain medication is good to have. My vet gave us the option and my husband insisted we get it. I think he could sympathize with our bunnies getting neutered because he has been "fixed" too! The only other thing I can think of is that you should keep giving your bunny food and water right up until you drop him off for surgery. Unlike dogs and cats, rabbits cannot vomit so there isn't the worry that they will aspirate it while under anesthesia. Also, give a bag of his pellets and hay to the vet tech to feed him when he wakes up from anesthesia. He may not feel like eating right after surgery, but if he does want to, it is really good for him to start eating as soon as possible.

Good luck Thumper! :bunny22:

I just has my rabbit neutered and they suggest not picking him up for about 4-5 days, depending on his progress.
When you get him home he will be drowsy and will most likely enjoy sleeping and relaxing in his cage.
My vet gave me 5 days work of pain meds. Although these are great, it also makes the bunny feel "To good" and want to run around so after the 3rd day of meds, I took him off it.
Make sure there is nothing in his cage that could cause infection.
Before my bunny came home, I took out all the hay from him cage and sanitized the cage using vinegar to get rid of any harmful bacteria. Make sure to still supply him with hay (It keeps them eating and drinking) but keep it in a area where he can't lay on it (like a hay feeder) I put a blanked down so he had somewhere soft to lay. If your rabbit drinks from a hanging bottle, try giving him a bowl or water as well. it is extremely important that they keep drinking and some rabbits will find drinking from a bottle is to much work. By giving them a bowl, it is a lot easier to drink from and they are more likely to stay hydrated.
I got rid of anything that would make him stretch his stitches or cause tearing. (Like a shelf or tunnel).
Monitor your rabbit to see if they are biting their stitches. If they are, you may need to get them a cone.

I hope this helps.
My rabbit was just neutered 3 weeks ago and he was back to his usual self by 3-4 days or resting in his cage.
After 3 days, I would let him out in a small space to get some energy out.

Latest posts

Back