Nethies or... not?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Bracon~

Reaction score
Do you think Bracon + Warren are netherland dwarfs. A lot of people have asked me about this over the last few weeks. The pet shop sold them as pure nethie:

Warren:

DSC00205.jpg

DSC00192.jpg

Sorry about the side ways photo

Bracon:

DSC00028-1.jpg
DSC00016.jpg

Loads of people have told me that the ears are too long to be a nethie, they should be 2" right? Il have to measure them. I do think there faces look nethie-ish though and their the right size.

Thanks for yall help.:)

Ears have to be under two inches to be show quality ears, but obviously not all nethies are going to be show quality.

If you look at my avatar, all my bunnies are supposed to be nethies apart from the lops (obviously) but none of them conform to what a show nethie looks like.

Those ears are very long for a show nethie, but that doesn't mean that they are not nethies.

They could easily be purebred nethies, but with a throw back to past generations, hance the pointier noses and racier bodies. The ears tend to grow according to the heat, so most nethie breeders won't breed in the hotter weather, so the ears are not necessarily an indication.

So basically what I'm saying is, they don't look overly nethie like, but they could be, lol.

So really, this answer is useless :D

They will still grow, as the bunnies are young, but the length of the ears is not determinate for whether it is a nethie or not, only an indicator.

In both the US and UK, 2" is the ideal ear length for Netherland Dwarfs. Over 2 1/2" is a disqualification in the US, but long ears are only a fault in the UK.

Pam

They have quite pointed faces, Tracy is right it could be a throwback from past generations, but nethies should have a round head like a tennis ball with a football for a body lol, Does can tend to have pointier heads than bucks for some reason.

It could be that the breeder has something in the past that has a different bunny breed in it ( Pam could tell you better as i am not so good with other breed standards but i think Polish and english have pointier faces so it could be 2 nethies that have something else in their background and that is why they don't totally look like the show nethies but if you look at all mine i have some that are not a good breed standard and they have pointier faces Dorie was probably the least nethie looking nethie i had and she looked like yours. She was still a true nethie just not brill type. ( anyway that only really matters if you ar ebreeding from them)

So either the breeder is finding it hard to get good "typey" nethies or there is something else somewhere in the genetic background

Back