netherlands dwarfs?? and a tired mom

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magic_girl

Reaction score
hi i just bought a netherlands dwarf doe with 3 8 month old babies i think she is gonna have more babies because i can fill 2 or 3 babies in her is this bad for her to just got done haveing babies:( i my friends mom said that netherlands dwarf rabbits are mean whats the real truth about them:)and i took the babies away from there mom is that ok.

thinks for all your help

At eight months the babies aren't babies. They are adults. Most likely the mother become pregnant from one of her sons. You did the right thing separating them from the mother. Did you separate the young ones from each other? I would also take them to a rabbit experienced vet for check ups.Take the mother first. It could be other things going on.

I'm assuming you mean 8 "week" old babies??? Yes, it is time for the babies to be weaned and be certain they are separated by sex by 12 weeks of age, or they will mate with each other.

If the doe is in good health, rebreedings are generally done at 8 weeks old when the litter is weaned. If you actually feel babies, I'm assuming she's going to kindle soon, meaning she was bred nearly a month ago. It's not a general practice to breed that closebecause it's physically demanding on the doe. However, if she's in good health, she should be fine, but that poor girl certainly needs a break!

Some Netherland Dwarfs are nasty, but certainly not the majority of them. Breeders have worked very hard over the years breeding for good dispositions in their rabbits.

Keep us updated!

Pam

If they are 8 weeks then its more likely a runt peanuts tend not to survive more than a few days.

I hope she is ok for you.

And no netherlands are not mean rabbits they are cheeky, mischevious and tend not to put up with whatever they don't feel like but on the whole they are lovely little rabbits i have over 20 and have never had a nasty bite from any of them I have however had bites off plenty of lops which are meant to be very placid breeds.

have a look at this link

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=36699&forum_id=18

" ALT="">
311qvbb.jpg

i wanted to know if there is any thing i can give the runt of the litter some kind of homemade milk mix he trys nurseing on my hand i can't put him back with his mom because she is gonna have babies think you!!

You can give him a little Nutri Cal for cats/dogs. It's a high calorie supplement that will be easy for your bunny to metabolize.

For a milk supplement, there's no need to try to bottle feed. You can give him a few milk pellets (Calf Manna). Many rabbit supply dealers sell small bags of Calf Manna, or you can get a little from someone who raises cows.

Pam

I'm wondering - and I'm not a Nethie breeder - is it possible that the little one carries the dwarfing gene and the two others don't and that is why the little one is smaller?

I don't know what Netherland Dwarfs of that age look like for size - but I know its possible to get them some in a litter that don't carry the dwarfing gene...

TinysMom wrote:
I'm wondering - and I'm not a Nethie breeder - is it possible that the little one carries the dwarfing gene and the two others don't and that is why the little one is smaller?

I don't know what Netherland Dwarfs of that age look like for size - but I know its possible to get them some in a litter that don't carry the dwarfing gene...

I was wondering this too...

Is it possible the little one could carry a double dwarfing gene and the others dont?

Luv-bunniz wrote:
Is it possible the little one could carry a double dwarfing gene and the others dont?
I highly doubt it. Double dwarfing gene = peanut. Peanuts don't normally last that long....but yes, I suppose it is possible. This just doesn't have the unusual head shape/proportion that a peanut has...

polly wrote:
And no netherlands are not mean rabbits they are cheeky, mischevious and tend not to put up with whatever they don't feel like but on the whole they are lovely little rabbits i have over 20 and have never had a nasty bite from any of them I have however had bites off plenty of lops which are meant to be very placid breeds.
A lot of the answer to this question is going to come from the actual rabbit you have.

If you have a Netherland dwarf that was bred from calm parents, grew up with a breeder who handled them, and is generally in a calm environment - I'm sure they can be nice.

I have had three Nethies. Never again. Well...wait...now that Tio is 3 years old - he's actually become more of a snuggler when I take him out of his cage and he's actually kinda fun.

But when he was younger? He and his twin brother drove me up a wall. But I had a Nethie doe I rescued and rehomed that was a SWEETHEART. I was in shock.

Personally - I am not a fan of Nethies. BUT...give me a chance to bunny-nap Pet_Bunny's Pebbles - or any of Polly's.....and I'd gladly add another cage to have a Nethie in my house.

I hope I've helped somewhat....

just got the little guy some kitten milk from the vet he likes it he's doing good so far just had them for 4 days the owner siad if i did't like them bring them back i am gonna keep them i love them:)

[url= target=]

I'm not sure about giving him kitten milk.....I would think it would mess up his digestive system since it isn't that close to mama's milk now that he's older. (We only recommend the kitten milk in extreme situations of orphaned bunnies). He's old enough to be eating and drinking now - the calf mana would probably be better for him and not mess his system up.

I'm wondering how rabbit saavy your vet is if they recommended kitten milk.

Pam? Someone else who has dealt with runts? I've always just given them some extra oatmeal, calf mana etc. Can y'all comment on the kitten milk?

If he is 8 weeks then I would not be giving him milk of any kind.

I make sure they are eating their pellets and readigrass. It looks like a runt happens you will probably find it will grow into its size but just take longer or it will be a bit smaller than the others. We have had them before you just need to tempt them with things like Peg said Oats calfmana etc.

FYI, when my 2.5 week old baby had a problem, my vet said to not feed him any kitten milk. Hehad started tonibble pellets and hay, and she saidI should encourage him to eat that and tosyringe feed him Critical Care.Thankfully he was still able to compete withhis siblings for a nipple so he was getting his mom's milk too, but my rabbit-savvy vet said to never feed kitten milk because it's not good for baby bunny tummies.

i'll stop giveing him the milk he just had a little will he be ok:?

what kind of oats the one you give horses or what people eat ?

Rolled oats, which are the same as Quaker Old Fashioned Oats/ old fashioned oatmeal.:)

Just give a pinch at a time to start, you don't want to change foods too fast and upset his tummy.

Back