Netherland stud service? lol

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I personally would accept services, if the rabbit was proven to be healthy, otherwise than it would be a big fat no lol

OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
I've heard that if you quarantine, it should be done for at least 4 weeks or it's useless.
Any particular reason for the mandatory 4 weeks?

I quarantine about 3 weeks. Its enough time for me to de worm and keep an eye out for suspicious behavior (sneezing and so worth)

Wow...again.I really haven't heard of this in the 5 years I have had bunnies. I have bred without waiting and never had sudden deaths or heard of it from the other people I get my bunnies from. I breed as soon as I can usually, unless they are juniors and then I wait until they are mature. I think the longest I waited was like 2 weeks for the mature does, but that was only b/c I was too lazy or didn't have the time to go out and wait. But I buy rabbits from people with good reps are I trust.

clevername wrote:
OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
I've heard that if you quarantine, it should be done for at least 4 weeks or it's useless.
Any particular reason for the mandatory 4 weeks?

I quarantine about 3 weeks. Its enough time for me to de worm and keep an eye out for suspicious behavior (sneezing and so worth)
I think this is just a safe amount of time, taking into consideration the "incubation period" of some diseases. I forget where I read that, I wish I could find it again so that I had a more definite answer for you, but it was in relation to that.:)

wooly_queen wrote:
Wow...again.I really haven't heard of this in the 5 years I have had bunnies. I have bred without waiting and never had sudden deaths or heard of it from the other people I get my bunnies from. I breed as soon as I can usually, unless they are juniors and then I wait until they are mature. I think the longest I waited was like 2 weeks for the mature does, but that was only b/c I was too lazy or didn't have the time to go out and wait. But I buy rabbits from people with good reps are I trust.

I would say you have been very lucky. We had been breeding and showing about 2 1/2 years when we bought a very pretty little Tri Mini Rex at a show. Brought her home and popped her into a new coop in the barn. She looked fine, healthy, eating pooping and peeing. About 2 weeks later, she started sneezing and blowing green snot. We tried treating it, but she died within 6 days. Within 10 days, all the rabbits around her cage were sneezing and blowing snot. We lost almost half our herd. I've learned my lesson. Everyone gets separated, outside the barn for 4 weeks. (the length of time recommended by my vet.)
I have 3 separate cages in their own little shed. Everyone new goes in there until I'm sure they are OK.
I've also dealt with Rabbit Syphilis. My buck got it from a doe we bred for a friend at a show. By the time I found it, he had infected 3 of my does. Not something I'd like to go through again.
I've made mistakes. (LOL! And I've learned from them.) People that have been through situations, solved problems and have experience can make suggestions. But sometimes the best education is learning for yourself.

OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
I think this is just a safe amount of time, taking into consideration the "incubation period" of some diseases. I forget where I read that, I wish I could find it again so that I had a more definite answer for you, but it was in relation to that.:)
Let me know if you find it again. I may extend my quarantine period to a full month--can't hurt to be on the safe side.

Well, the way we are set up, I can't separate them. I'm not even supposed to have them because I live in a golf community. I have to hide them all on the side of the house behind the fence. All of the cages are attached to each other.

wooly_queen wrote:
They will probably fine us a bunch of money and tell us to get rid of all of them. :( I would die.
A lot of places classify rabbits as a companion animal--not livestock. What's the exact wording in your zoning laws? You may have some legal wiggle room.

I've also heard word of a federal law that was passed during the Great Depression which allows the raising of chickens and rabbits as food for families.... I've tried to hunt more information down but I haven't had any luck as of yet. It may just be hearsay, but its hopeful.

Maybe....that would be nice. I don't know how they would feel about having 20 different bunnies here though...but i will try to find it out.

Latest posts

Back