Netherland dwarf rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeelowsBunnies

LeelowsBunnies
Reaction score
Hey guys what are some of the health issues with this breed I have heard a lot of cons about them.

Prone to malocclusion and dental disease.
Back teeth problems develop later
Regular veterinary checks advised.
Back problems??

Any thing else I should know about this breed, like the care it needs, housing, food, other health issues I should know etc, and how the bunny as a breed is like, are they a good pet???
:bunnynurse:

Netherland Dwarfs are a great small breed. Their temperaments are generally friendly and outgoing because they are mainly bred as companion animals (pet or show), they're not exactly efficient for meat/fur purposes. If you're interested in this breed specifically, I highly recommend purchasing a rabbit from a reputable breeder. Those who raise the breed responsibly work hard to produce healthy animals and lessen the risk of health concerns. Rabbits with structural or genetic issues (malocclusion, etc.) are culled from the herd and are never bred into the line.

Dwarfs don't have any specialized care needs compared to other rabbits. If you've heard negative comments about health or longevity, it may be related to rabbits that came from backyard breeders or "accidental" litters. Like I said, they are a very popular breed and highly desired as children's pets because of their small size. So many people breed and sell them- not all of them are reputable.

I am a huge fan of the ND and I have one neutered male. He is very sweet and loving and he's in perfect health although he's only going to be 3. Neutering him has also made him a calmer pet. Mine's a pure love bug.

We've, as of yet, not had any health or teeth issues and he sees the vet regularly.

Here's my pretty boy as everyone calls him lol
assortedpics2012163.jpg

I also have a little neutered boy who is just 1. He is very mischievous but a very happy bunny and a great jumper so take that into account. Mine is very inquisitive and although he doesn´t much like being picked up, he tolerates it now but loves jumping up on the sofa to keep me company most evening. Here´s Houdini.

Houdipose.jpg

I second what Julie said I don't ever hear about teeth problems in a dwarf from anybody who shows them. It was unknown to me until I came on here.

Welcome! As many have said, if you go to a reputable breeder you won't have the same occurrence of issues. The nice thing about well bred rabbits is that they aren't really that much pricier than rabbit mill type breeders. With dogs I know there can be a big difference, but for a rabbit, the difference is negligible! The choice is clear :D

I love the two pics from other posters! JUST AWESOME :D

I've had very few problems with Houdini. Thought he had a stomach issue with gases last week but was probably just eating two many cauliflower leaves and I haven't had teeth issues (touch wood) with any of my three yet. I think as long as you give them a varied diet so they have lots to chew ie loads of hay and drink lots of water plus a variety of veggies and pellets if they need them, they should do fine.

I had a tiny all black ND and he never had any teeth or other health problems. He was very sweet. He loved to travel and to be held. He was supper hyper though and did the 500 binky all the time and could jump up onto anything. He lived to 10 or 11.

Miss Hoppy was probably half Netherland Dwarf, we never knew for sure. She never had teeth problems, she always had good sticks to gnaw on, and other hard things to keep her teeth from overgrowing. Her only problem was when she was elderly she was diagnosed with a thymoma, but that was treated and she got back plenty of energy, and live to be around 11.

They´re both little beauties, love the colour of both. The dark one with the little lighter coloured nose is lovely, they have such a grump face when they´re that colour and the little grey one is adorable.

Latest posts

Back