"Nesting"

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littl3red

Ashtin - Member
Reaction score
I'm fairly certain that I'm crazy. What I seem to be doing right now is akin to "nesting" in mothers-to-be. You know, when they get obsessive about organizing, disinfecting, making everything perfect for the new baby? Yeah. Except I'm not having a baby (thank heavens!), I'm adopting a new bunny.

I went out yesterday and spent $70 (SEVENTY! That's like 10 hours of work!) and another $20 today (So we're up to 12 hours, that's almost all of last week's paycheck) preparing for the new bun. Buying NIC cubes, coroplast, new toys, I don't even know where some of the money went. If something made me think "rabbit" it ended up on the receipt.

Today I was talking to my boyfriend for about the millionth time about how adorable Maya is and how cute it will be when Teddy and Maya are cuddling and how excited I am to get Maya and he just interrupted and said "Ashtin, you're being obsessive." Um... wow. A little blunt, but I think he's right. Does anyone else go through this in preparation for a new pet?

On a slightly related note, I'm adding onto the cage and splitting it in half. I started it today but I'm going to finish some other time:

17408_162259_100000000.jpg

It's going to be 4x2x3, split in half, with both halves being mirror images of each other. When the two are bonded, I'll probably just take out the middle part, I don't know if I'll revert back to 3x2x3 but I might, just because I don't have infinity square feet in my bedroom and it's already pretty darn cramped.

Also, yes, I still haven't switched out the cardboard, but I have a TON of coroplast now, so I'm not putting it off any longer. Coroplast everywhere!

Haha, you just seem so excited and that is great. I'm a planner and a worrier too so I like to have everything "just so" as well. I've told you before you remind me of myself when I was your age :)

My husband gets tired of my bunny talk so don't feel alone there. That's what RO is for! We can obessively talk about our rabbits with no judgement!

I think their cage is going to be just great. I like the idea of just removing the barrier once bonded. And equal cage space on either side provides for good cage swapping during bonding (when the time is right) I think we covered this before but you already have a plan to prevent them from biting through the bars, right?

It's easy to spend alot of money on the buns. I try to limit myself best as I can. I'm a stay at home mom so I budget everything. :)

When is the day she is coming home, by the way? You still just have to wait til the board makes their decision?

Ugh, yes, the board. I'm still waiting, it's driving me crazy, because it could be in a week or tomorrow. And as for the biting, I said screen door stuff and everyone said that makes them too inaccessible to each other. So no, not sure what I'm doing there.

Hmm, could you somehow have two NIC walls only at the border of the two sections? But put them like a couple inches apart?

Talking out loud here, not really sure how you'd attach two....but if you could think of a way then they'd still have good access to each other.

OR you could use screen door stuff for a little bit and then maybe remove that later, I'm already to the point of bonding where their cages are butted right up against each other so you may only need a divider like that temporarily.

would be quite easy to put a NIC grid at 8 squares across a grid instead of the full 9 and then another at the nine (or at 8 of the opposing grid if you want them absolutely identical) if that makes any sense :p

Latest posts

Back