Nesting Question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StaceyCreese

Reaction score
My Holland Lop was bred on Friday which would be her first litter if you took. This evening she was pulling hair and carrying her straw around.

I would think it’s way to early to be nesting, what are your thoughts and experiences?
(She was bred in March - made the perfect nest in her nesting box, but didn't have any babies). 😒

Thank you for any & all help! I’m a very anxious rabbit mommy wanting babies. She’s an inside rabbit whom I adore! 💕

Attachments

• 059D7951-EE72-4398-999D-3BDEF92E62F6.jpeg
    059D7951-EE72-4398-999D-3BDEF92E62F6.jpeg
    141.8 KB · Views: 6
hard to say. she could be an early nester, (kinda rare in my experience) but my honest opinion is that this may be a 'phantom' litter - she'll do everything rights (because she wants babies badly) but they won't happen because she was never pregnant in the first place 😕 like you said, she's already had a phantom litter so the chances are higher of it happening again.

could you please share some info regarding the breeding itself?? did the buck "fall off", was she willing to breed, and is the buck a proven dad?
how about your girl bunny? what is her age and temperament like? ☺
hopefully this helps, and we can try to figure out whats going on here... gorgeous bunny, btw!💕

encourage her to use the proper nest box to make a nest. nothing wrong with encouraging her to make a nest, if she wants to so bad!! since she is a Holland Lop, use a small one where she can turn around, but it is still snug.

Providing Your Doe a Nestbox for Her Babies | The Nature Trail

I also meant to ask you earlier her approximate weight. as well as the buck, a picture would be great too!! thanks 💕🐇

hard to say. she could be an early nester, (kinda rare in my experience) but my honest opinion is that this may be a 'phantom' litter - she'll do everything rights (because she wants babies badly) but they won't happen because she was never pregnant in the first place 😕 like you said, she's already had a phantom litter so the chances are higher of it happening again.

could you please share some info regarding the breeding itself?? did the buck "fall off", was she willing to breed, and is the buck a proven dad?
how about your girl bunny? what is her age and temperament like? ☺
hopefully this helps, and we can try to figure out whats going on here... gorgeous bunny, btw!💕
Molly turned one in March, never bred before. The first time we bred was in March and she didn’t take. The buck is proven and pedigree, same with this time but a different buck. Molly’s weight currently is 4# 7.6oz. I weigh her everyday other day.

I take her to the breeder. The first time we spent two hours there and a buck did fall off, but she really wasn’t interested or liking it. This time I stayed with her for 45 minutes then left her there for 1.5 hours. While I was there she was definitely more receptive to the idea, the buck did not fall off when I was there but certainly trying. Of course not sure what happened after I left for a bit. The breeder also held her rump in the air some to position her when needed.

Back