Nesting behavior when not mated?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuddyAcresHomestead

Reaction score
Will a non-bred doe nest for no reason other than you gave her a nesting box? I'm unsure that my doe actually bred though she was with my buck for a few hours. I palated and didn't feel anything, she's not any fatter and no colostrum coming in but I gave her a box for giggles and she immediately started using it as a litter box.

Today I cleaned it and refilled it and she started pulling wool and arranging. .. just curious if she may have actually bred (silly me didn't mark the calendar) or if some does will just nest to nest? Thanks!

hiya my doe thumper has done this before where she just starts nesting for no reason i seem to think that it was a fake pregnancy all i can say to you is watch and see if your rabbit has babies

Only time will really tell whether it's a real pregnancy or a false one. False pregnancies can be quite common, so you won't know until after 31 days have past. Do you know approximately how long it's been?

I have no idea....my other doe had a false pregnancy before so I am aware it's a possibility. I have nothing marked on my calendar for that week except that I had wanted to breed them both. I've just never had a doe nest and pull as much wool as she has without kindling. Just wondering if anyone else's does have nested and pulled wool with a false pregnancy.

Whitelop's rabbit Elvira (I can't remember if she's spayed or not) has false pregancies during which she pulls loads of hair.

Well still no babies this morning so I'm assuming it's a false pregnancy. Frustrated because I had my hopes up that she had taken this time...neither of my does want to breed, it's frustrating.

If you can't remember when she was bred though, it could still be a day or two. Give it time, I wouldn't take the nest box away too early, just in case.

Thanks Azerane. Still no babies today. Felt around and not sure she's any bigger....hasn't pulled any more wool or seems interested in her nesting box any more. Her nipples are bigger but I'm pretty sure this is just a false pregnancy...I just can't remember having any of this issues when I bred English angoras...it seems like these frenchies are making up for all of the easy I had with the English. LMAO.

Latest posts

Back