Nestbox

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scarlett

Reaction score
I would love to know of an easy way to make a homemade nestbox. I've heard of getting a wire crate and lining it with cardboard, to prevent drafts, but I wasn't sure. I figured maybe a cardboard box? But then they would soil it, maybe. I need nestbox idea's, so I'm asking.

Thanks everyone!

~ Sandy

Some people use shoe boxes as a temporary nestbox. If you are planning on having alot of litters it would be easy to just buy a wooden nestbox for repeated use

woahlookitsme wrote:
Some people use shoe boxes as a temporary nestbox. If you are planning on having alot of litters it would be easy to just buy a wooden nestbox for repeated use

My dad could make a wooden nestbox. But would the doe soil it by staying in there alot? The last doe that got out with a one of my show bucks ( Honey & Harley ) I thought was pregnant, so I placed a box in with her, with pine shavings for bedding, and she soiled it. The cardboard was soaking wet the next morning. Same with my last doe. Can I fix this problem?

The ones I bought (from TSC) were metal boxes with a removable wooden bottom. After I remove the nest box, I make sure to clean, disinfect, and dry the wood before the next litter.

You can also use a plastic container. Some also have used kitty litter trays.

wendymac wrote:
The ones I bought (from TSC) were metal boxes with a removable wooden bottom. After I remove the nest box, I make sure to clean, disinfect, and dry the wood before the next litter.

You can also use a plastic container. Some also have used kitty litter trays.

I have a cat litter tray here, and that would be a good plan. I'll try a litter pan. Should I cut an opening in the side? Sorry about all the questions, just planning ahead.

It sounds like the does thought it was their litter box. We always put the nestboxes in at Day 28 or later. This gives them plenty of time to fix up their nest before due date but close enough to where nesting is all they are thinking about. None of our does use ours as litter boxes unless they aren't pregnant

What breed is it for? I say leave as is because the tall lip on nestboxes help when mom jumps out of the nestbox and a kit is still nursing it kind of scrapes them off from her teat.

Not always 100% (we just had one that stuck and was on the wire last night and luckily my mom found him before he got too cold)

- woahlookitsme

majorv wrote:
It sounds like the does thought it was their litter box. We always put the nestboxes in at Day 28 or later. This gives them plenty of time to fix up their nest before due date but close enough to where nesting is all they are thinking about. None of our does use ours as litter boxes unless they aren't pregnant

What breed is it for? I say leave as is because the tall lip on nestboxes help when mom jumps out of the nestbox and a kit is still nursing it kind of scrapes them off from her teat.

Not always 100% (we just had one that stuck and was on the wire last night and luckily my mom found him before he got too cold)

- woahlookitsme

I put the box in 27 days before her due date. She is a tri-colored dutch, but when she had the babies, they didn't survive, because she never made the nest. Pulled out hair, but never made anything with it. It was upsetting, as these we're beautiful babies. I'll try a litterbox, that why it won't soil.

that's a shame. Then I wouldn't be surprised that she peed in her box. Sounds like she wasn't reading the same book of pregnancy

Latest posts

Back