Nestbox Trouble

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dublinperky

Reaction score
I put Nessa's Nestbox in yesterday and all she has done with it is eat the hay and poo and pee all over the nestbox. She has always been my messy rabbit but I still don't know what to do! I don't think that she will have her babies in that dirty thing and if I clean it she will just do the exact same thing! If anyone has any suggestions it would help alot!

Aly!:)

Maybe she's just not ready to makea nest so doesn't know what else to use the box for, maybe you should take it out until Sunday put leave a good heap of hay in her cage, that way if she starts to make a nest you'll know she's ready for a nest box.

I agree. I'd wait a couple days for the box and give her some hay to play with.

Pam

I'd try putting in a different corner or place in the cage, someplace she doesn't usually pee and poop. They are such creatures of habit, if they want to "go" in that spot, they will, no matter what you put there. Doesn't bode well for the anticipated litter.

Nessa has made a nest but it is not in her nest box it is in her little hidy house. Her due date is today so I hope that she will have them. Do you think I should move her nest into the nestbox or keep it where it was built.The problem of where she built it is that there is wire on the bottom. She did put alot of hay so that the babies wouldn't fall through immediatly. I hope I can get a responce.

Aly! :)

Is the wire big enough for them to fall through? If not then I think the hidey house is fine, lot's of breeders don't use nest boxes at all, especially in Ireland because you can't buy them. If they could fall through though I would move it, when she sees the nest in the box she should use it, especially if there is no other bedding material anywhere else.

I managed to put a mat underneath the hidy house so that there is no way they can get feet stuck or anything. I am really hoping that they will be okay! Checkon my Bloated Pregnant Rabbit???? thread and see if you can help!

Aly! :(

Thanks for all the help! Nessa delivered 9 healthy babies. They were born in the hidey house but since I could take of the bottom of the nest box and the hidey house is the same size I switched the covering so I could more easily get to them. She doesn't seem to mind at all that they are now in the nest box.

Aly!

Latest posts

Back