nestbox material question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsonfarm

Reaction score
Well I'm sure this has been covered somewhere before, but I was wondering if anyone just uses wood shavings in their nestbox and how well it works? I have a doe ready to kindle and I put a nestbox heater underneath, lined the metal nestbox with cardboard, and filled it with clean wood shavings and I'm wondering if that'll be enough for 40 degree weather. She's in a draft free barn and I usually give them some hay or straw but just ran out.

The only reason I'm wondering how well it works is that she's starting to pull fur but it just seems to get mixed in with the shavings (but I seem to remember that happens with straw at first too.) Anyway, any suggestions for a paranoid bunny person? :)

I see a lot of breeders just using shavings over here. I always give hay/straw too but they should be fine esp. if they have a heater under it too. So i wouldn't worry looks like you have it well covered :)

I use about two inches of pine shavings on the bottom and fill the box the

rest of the way with hay.

I do know breeders who use shavings only with no problem.

Roger

I also use a good think layer of shavings across the bottom and and stuff the box with hay. Yeah, the fur gets mixed in with hay and shavings.

When I got Batty, the lady used all chavings and they got mixed with the fur, it does look warm though:). In my opinion, they are safe but I would use something else because I'm so darn compulsive:p.

Latest posts

Back