Nest Pictures and advice??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnimalLoverStefi

Reaction score
Hi all!!!! My bun is due in 1-3 days and I built a nest to get her started, but since this is my first prepared litter, I was wondering if I did a correct job. She had an unexpected litter a month and a half ago, but showed absolutely no signs that she was pregnant, so when I got home from school, I was shocked to find 5 babies born on the wire, she had pulled some fur but it was scattered everywhere.

SOO this time I want to make sure that the nest is appropriate for the babies to maximize their chance of survival. Could anyone PLEASE PLEASE post some pictures of their rabbits nest , nest box, or the nest that you made for your bun before she had the kits?
I would REALLY appreciate it if someone could help me with this <3 :) and sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum :p

This is the nest I made for her:
12852_161623_200000000.jpg

And this is the setup:
12852_161643_240000000.jpg

The nest looks good - for first time does - or does I'm unsure of - I tend to put a TON of hay in their cage to cover the wire anyway - it has helped save a litter or two.

Also remember she may want to grab more hay to put in the nest and make it hers....

Im just getting a little worried, because she hasn't even attempted to build a nest. I'll fill the wired part with hay and she what she does. I haven't seen her pulling fur, but there has been small amounts spread out on her cage, so i picked those up and put them in the nest, hoping to give her the hint. Is there anything else I can do?

usually they will not start pulling fur until they are just about ready to have their babies. Give her time most moms know what to do.

The top of the box is generally lower to hold heat in, and the front higher to keep young kits in the box. It should work fine, but young kits getting out and suffering from hypothermia is a concern.

Good luck w/ the babies!

This is actually a small wooden chinchilla box I saw on the internet, but it is a good design for a rabbit nest box:

4808.jpg
Rabbit nest boxes:

Adding on to Pam's post...

I agree about the front being a little higher, but I also think that the back is too high. I wouldn't use it with my does because mine(and babies, when old enough) love to hop on top of the boxes, if it has the half covered top. So I'd be afriad that she would try to get up there and hurt herself if she slipped off or she might smoosh the babies.

But that's just my girls, I don't know if yours would try to make it up there. lol

So if there is a next time, you might want to alter the box. Just my opinion.

Good luck with the babies!!! :D :D :D

The nest box looks a lot bigger in these pictures then it is in real life, and she cannot jump up on top because there is only maybe 1-2inches max. :) Her cage is in my garage and it is getting warmer out, plus that part of the cage is totally insulated. I'm just worried about the materials inside of the nest, could someone post a picture of a nest that their bun made in a nesting box? :)

Back