Nervous Rabbit!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mockingjay

Reaction score
My little lop boy is scared to come out of his cage. He's new and I tried luring him out with a carrot, which is his FAVORITE FAVORITE FAVORITE food, but he won't take his back legs out, he just kinda sticks his front legs out of the cage to get a bite of the carrot then goes back in. How can I get him out?

I've done that a little. But he's still nervous. Right now we've put all of his favorite things outside the cage so he can come out when he feels like it.

Don't rush it. Just sit in an area that you have been using for him to run around in and let him come out on his own time. You sit somewhere in the room and do not make any moves toward your bun. if your bun comes out and jumps around you great, if not fine. Give it an hour or so. Then repeat again a few hours later.. Eventually your bun will come out to you.

My buns that I've had for almost two years sometimes do that.. they just want to laze and don't want to be bothered. My two new rescues do that sometimes still, but that is ok. They are still getting to know me. Are you giving your lop nose rubs? Tons of head rubs? That might help also? I was doing that with my lop who I still cannot pick up and she loved that and eventually came out of the cage to get her nose rub and did the I'm going to lay flat on the floor to get my nose rubbed and head rubbed thing and it still works.. heck I almost fell asleep on her last night rubbing her head and nose! :)

If you want to try that and see how it works? I had to do that with my rescues and they finally started coming around.
All in all, don't force anything. If anything it will make your bun more scared.

I hope it helps and please keep us posted!
Vanessa

Have you tried with treats like craisins or a bit of banana. I only have to sit on the floor with banana and mine come running and climb all over me. Same with craisins, they only have to hear the bag and they come running :)

Time and patience are the keys to the kingdom. Not all rabbits will warm up to you and may still be a little skittish, but even our most shy bunny is now a pest when she's out--she's been with us for 7 years and it took a couple of years to get her to this point. Some are that way from the start as I don't think they've had as hard a time as others and with some it's just their nature, both good and bad. Our newest, Mr Hoppes has been with us for 5 months and comes when called and follows us all around, and he was very shy at first and almost what you'd term grumpy.

My cute cute cute cute little Linus!

ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1392851002.690022.jpg

In case you're concerned, the collar comes off when I'm not watching him so he doesn't get hurt.

Awwww, he is adorable and I LOVE his name. Congrats, I am glad to hear that he is settling in nicely. :)

Latest posts

Back