Nervous Bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyMummy

Reaction score
Hi all,
This is kind of an update and not altogether a good one. A few things have happened since i last put pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard).

On one instance we had to go back to the UK to see family and attend a wedding, it was for just under a week, so we asked a neighbour to look after Pebbles and Bam bam. I wanted them to stay here and for her to look in on them once, or twice a day.

She insisted that we take them to hers, so I did and we set up thier run in her cellar with express instructions that under no circumstances were her children to pick them up. They have an English Labrador and a two year old bunny too, but the lab HATES stairs so there was no danger of them meeting.

Anyhow after we came back she told me that she had been taking them out and cuddling them and they were fine.

When I went to get them they were in thier run out in her gerden with the dog barking and sniffing around them, I was a little perturbed at what the buns must have been going through then she said that she had put her rabbit in with ours and they had fought!!

Bit of background here.... we looked after her rabbit previously and she came across our buns and they fought then, so I don't know why she thought it'd be any different this time, anyway we got them home and since then Pebbles has been a bag of nerves.
We have had to move them into our basement room as now they are getting too big for our wee house, they have lots of space to play and run, and lots of toys and cardboard. I put them outside when it's warm, but they don't seen too impressed by this to be fair, as in there is no binkying or running around.

Anyway Bambam is okay, she still runs away from me and will only come near if I am in her way i.e. lying down with them in thier room, but Pebbles just darts away from me as fast as he can, sometimes so fast I'm afraid he's going to injure himself especially when he carrears into walls in an attempt to get away from me as quicly as possible.

I try to spend time just sitting and reading, or have been lately picking them up separatly and stroking them on the couch.

this is where the bit of good news comes in. When I have them on my lap and stroking them they seem to relax a little and have even started grinding thier teeth. Bambam more than Pebbles, but she lets me know when she's done with a little push, if I keep hold of her the push turns into a nip so I know she wants down.

Pebbles has started grinding slightly which cheered me up no end so I think I'm making a little progress but it's still bloody hard work.

I am ashamed to admit that I have though about rehousing them with someone who is naturally more patient than me, but when I see thier little faces I just don't have the heart to let them go.

I don't like your neighbor :grumpy:Lol.

Poor lil Pebbles :(That sounds like quite a panick... My Wiggles used to crash into walls when I first got her and it's a very sad thing to see. I hate seeing them so fearful. I think that with all you are doing, they will be justfine. One thing I have noticed with my bonded couples is that they often ignore me when they first bond (with Dahlia and Ariella though i am still pretty much non-existant). So, what I do to get them used to coming to me is this...

I'll put one bunny on the floor, and keep the other between my legs, stroking it gently. I'll then sit on the floor further away and let the bunny look for his/her mate. Now is a good time to introduce a treat that will take a few minutes to eat (carrot for example). The bunny will hop over to you to find the other and see that there are treats there. Introduce a treat to the other and try to stroke them while they eat. Then i let them play together until I decide to "nap" the other bunny. It's been working pretty well with mine. It just gets them used to associating you with good things. It's important to find their weakness/strength and work with it. When they are together they are too busy for you :pTake one away, and (in general) their attention will turn to looking for their mate. So work with this, use them against each other in subtle ways but be careful not to stress them by being too far away.

Oh poor Pebbles and Bam-Bam.. Having to put up with the stupid neighbor.. I can only imagine how hard it is to bond to2 separte buns and to get them bonded at the sametime.. I have figured out that buns WILL teach you patience, and that your are probably the BEST caregiver for them. I really meant to rehome Baxter! my bun, but have realized they need special attention and once you figure out what they need, you can find that you can make the space for them..

Hope all goes more smoothly for you and let me know how it goes (feel free to PM at anytime you need to vent - been there done that - lol!)..

Good luck! :)

It is a sad day, but due to the constant heartache of seeing the buns nearly kill themselves in an attempt to get away from me, I'm going to have to rehome them. i have spent night after night on thier level, reading watching TV, and even falling asleep.

It pains me to see the levels they (mainly Pebbles) will go to in order to get away from me. I can't not go into thier cage to feed them. i have tried to be quiet, tried to be chatty, tried every approach, but his eyes still go so wide you can see the whites and he panics, visibly. Then, when I move he darts away from me as fast as he can, sending boxes, food, hay and anything in his way, flying.

They have made me cry in fear and frustration and I have concluded that they are much better off with someone who doesn't frighten them, or someone who has endless amounts of patience. Very sad day. :(

Hey BunnyMommy - did you end up rehoming or are you trying to get everyone together as a happy family? Let me know either way.. Sorry I haven't kept up on the checking in on you - especially when you were having such a hard time.. Hope your well as are the buns.

Hi Julie, I have put the word about, and advertised in the local press. We are an army community so word should spread quickly. I want them to be as nearby as possible so I can make sure they are okay. I want them to go somewhere that has someone in the house all the time so they have lots of company and get used to people. I know that so many other people have a lot more patience than me. I went in thier cage yesterday to feed them, they had no food in the bowl so I put some in my hand. bam bam came up to take some out of my hand but Pebbles stayed where he was, even then when I reached slowly forward to pet him he looked wide eyed and darted off.

I really am in two minds, I don't want them to go through the stress of moving and I will really miss them, but they should be with a family that have more time to devote to them. This is a really horrid, sad situ to be in. :(

I know what you are feeling - been there, reading how SO many people on this forum have "oodles of time" to spend with theirbuns and some are so CUDDLY..

Alas, some are not the same.. But, giving a bunny (let alone 2 bonded buns that have each other) a good home, with good food and care is TONS more than alot of "pet" buns get.. I didn't know this until I tried to get my rabbit rehomed and then found out how scarey it was out there for them.. Such as, did you know in Germany you can sell rabbits for "live" food for other animals? Scarey to think if you sold Pebbles and Bam. for $15 bucks they would become food for a snake?

Keep this in mind when rehoming, perhaps they are good with you and over the course of months they will be more sedate with you (Pebbles may be just the same way with someone else - and I'm not sure its you that is causing her Panic, she may just need some patient TLC); or -on the other hand,please make sure that the home they go toknows how much care/time theywill need ( and keep them together)..

I know Germany is BIG on the treatment of animals (you kill one wild animal you have to pay for the offspring they would have had) so I would think they may have some orginization. If you can tell me where you are in Germany, I have a few friends there (who were also in the military, but now work for Vets) I maybe able to help you with the Rehoming..

Good for you for reaching out for help with this though.. Glad you just didn't dump them somewhere..

Hi guys, and thank you for your messages. Please accept my apologies for not replying sooner, here is a quick update.

We did advertise the buns in the local paper and had a few responses, to which neither of us felt it was right to give the buns away to. For one we know that due to their tendency to dart at the slightest noise or movement, that being in a house with children would terrify them. Also when one woman called and said she would need to buy a hutch for outside my husband point blank refused to let her have them.

So we opted for plan B.

We have a relatively spacious cellar and decided to make a bunny room. We gathered loads of cardboard boxes and tore holes in them and made everything from climbing frames to tunnels to hidey holes and a HUGE bed stuffed with straw and shredded paper. We stuck a big thick catalogue in one of the hidey, and got a large plastic 'warren like' tube from the pet store, one of those that you can bend and manipulate to different shapes.

Now they can run, hop on, tunnel through, scurry under, dig, toss and generally destroy or rearrange to their hearts content. Sometime we sit in there for ages watching them hop in and out of boxes, ears poking up through holes they have fashioned, noses twitching from underneath a precariously placed box.

If you stand outside their door and listen, they make an almighty racket, throwing and tearing up boxes. They even seem to only poop exclusively by their litter box nowadays.

I will post a pic up so you can see their new home.

Of course we still bring them upstairs to get used to us, but they mostly spend the time avoiding us and trying to break into the cordoned off areas(why do they always want to go where they are not allowed?).

They will tolerate being held and will sit on our lap now and even (begrudgingly it seems) have a little grind when we play with the back of their neck, however they will never approach us for affection which makes me worry that it is kind of forced upon them.

Anyway that's the situation. We were hoping they would turn out to be cuddle bunnies but alas that is not to be, but at least they seem happy and we know that they are well fed and well looked after.

Sammi

x

I am so glad you chose to keep them! They may never be happy being cuddled but in time you guys will develop a mutual understanding of how to be happy with each other.

:yeahthat:

They might just need more time to readjust to you. It sounds like a great setup, so great that next time you leave town, it'll be better for the neighbors to let your bunnies stay at your home and come to take care of them, instead of taking them to their house which is so stressful!.

angel1977_photos

Hope this works
angel1977_photos

angel1977_photos

angel1977_photos

angel1977_photos

Have to zoom in to get a picture of the buns, think they're camera shy!

angel1977_photos

angel1977_photos

angel1977_photos

angel1977_photos

Okay so this is where they live now when we are at work or asleep.

I am soooo glad you decided to keep them! I can tell you with 99.9% certainty it isn't you personally they are afriad of, it is people in general. And rehoming them would only have made it worse. It sounds like you have the perfect setup for them now, they are living happy little bunny lives now. In time, they may come to accept you more, and even let you pet them. Good luck with your bunnies, and thank you for being a caring and responsible bunny owner!

Woah...that is an awesome set up that you have there! I would LOVE to be able to devote that much space to my three. Sounds like you are getting there with the bonding! Don't give up, I've had my Gixxer since October and he still RARELY lets me pet him. He's gotten so much better over time, but I've accepted that he'll never be a bun that wants a lot of human contact. I've just got to love him for what he is, what do you do :) He and Alaska make each other SO happy and that makes me happy.

Wow! That is an outstanding bunny room! And your rabbits are gorgeous! As others have said they may never be cuddle bunnies, but don't give up. I've had Skylar about 18 months, and it's just very recently that he will come to me for nose rubs. I adopted him when he was approximately a 1 year old. Up until I got him, he'd spent his life with a backyard breeder whose animals were seized by the SPCA. He'd never had any human contact that I'm aware of. The other rabbits bit his ears, slashed his eyelid, bit his back. He was not a happy little guy. Very very scared of everything.

He now jumps onto the hay box beside the computer and demands that I rub his nose. And, he follows me into the bathroom, sits between my feet and puts his nose up into the air for a rub. He certainly deserves that rub, too since he's saved me time and again from the vicious roll of toilet tissue!

So, he's chosen two "safe spots" where he comes to get nose rubs and we've extended that to a little "full body" rubbing, too.

You are showing a great deal of love and patience with them. Allowing them to come on their own terms. You're doing GREAT! You really are! :great:

Thanks guys, they do seem to be happy there. Those pics were taken before they had a chance to 'redecorate' lol.

The green thing was from a local pet store here in Germany.

http://www.lamp-post.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CH20523

Here is a website where you can get one, it is in the UK, although I think if you Google from the US you may get one locally.

They love it, because you can change the shape of it it's like a new warren for them.

Latest posts

Back