Nervous Bun?:c

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ellugnor

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new to this community and I wanted to share a little concern!
I have the most adorable, soon to be 5 month unneutered male bunny named Argo c: He's always been kind of jumpy since the day I got him and after a few months with him, he's gotten pretty comfortable with me.
Every night, I let him run around my room and he usually does not react negatively to me hanging out or walking around him. But lately (maybe started like a week ago) every time there's a slight bit of noise or I get up to walk, he freaks out and runs to one of his hiding spots. He looks terrified and acts as if he's never seen me before. :cc However, as soon as I get down to his level, I'm suddenly his momma again and he's back to cuddling and climbing on me asking for pets haha
My concern is, what would cause such a sudden behavioral change? It feels like he's always in survival mode up until I'm sitting on the floor with him :/

It could be a couple of things. Slight changes in the environment can sometimes cause it (such as the position of a certain object), otherwise if you've changed anything in regards to whether you use hand creams/perfumes etc and have changed to a different one, sometimes bunnies will react to the different smell.

Another option is hormonal changes, most often bunnies will become more forward, sometimes becoming agressive or cage defensive or circling and honking, mounting etc, but I shouldn't see any reason why it couldn't cause a change of behaviour in the other direction either with them becoming more skittish.

The last option is of course some sort of health problem, although it seems unlikely. But behavioural changes of many kinds can indicate that your bunny is unwell or in pain etc.

I did start using a plug in air freshener for the room and it was a bit strong for the past few days. Could that be enough to make him feel uncomfortable?
Could he adjust to the scent of the room or should I just toss the air freshener?

Latest posts

Back