Nervous about litter habits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minilopbun

Reaction score
Tomorrow, I'll be going home for spring break with my Baci. I didn't need to litter train him, he kind of just picked up on it. His litter box is large and I put his pellet bowl and hay in it so he chose the box to do his business in from the beginning. When I first brought him to my college home, I left him in his cage for 2 days so I guess he just got used to only going in the box. He's really good about it (he's 3 months not neutered so I know this can change). He gets a lot of free time out the cage at least 4 hours a day, but most of the time he probably gets 6 or 7 hours. He always runs back to his cage into his box and uses the bathroom its great. Now here's my concern. He'll be in my basement when I get home (the basement has just been redone so it's not yucky!) and my sisters and I will be spending lots of time with him. If I leave him in his cage for a day and a half and bring some old litter with me to put in his box, do you think he'll lose his litter habits just by being in a new environment? He's going to have his original cage as well I'm bringing it home with me. So really nothing will be that different except where his cage is.

That's kinda hard to tell. It's not impossible that he will make his business around at first to "own" the place better. I moved with my two rabbits some months ago. Aki was always a clean freak and it hasn't changed, never a poo outside the litterbox in almost 6 years. Tybalt on the other hand... He still pees in the box (thank the Easter bunny for small mercies) but on the poo front it's a lot messier than it was before. Luckily, poos aren't hard to clean up.
But, my rabbits' life changed a lot, they went from living in my room in a city flat with other people around to having their own room in a house with a garden, no people other than me and I took a dog too. So maybe the change won't be as brutal for your rabbit than for mine (they hated it when we moved, it took them about 10 days to relax and go out of their wooden house).

It really does depend. I wouldn't let him out into the space straight away, give him a day. When I moved I expected a lot of territorial poop deposits from bandit, but there was literally nothing.. It really depends on the bunny though, at the vet least pee should still be fine, but don't be surprised to see poops around the place.

Thank you. I do plan on keeping him in his cage for a day before letting him explore his new surroundings :) when I brought him to my college home he didn't leave poops around like I was expecting so hopefully he doesn't when I go home! Lol

Latest posts

Back