Nemesis

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBabyBunnies

Reaction score
I have some sad news. :(No, it's not my boys, they're fine, but it's another rabbit.

A few days ago I found a black lop in my yard that looked to be inrough shape. Well, seeing as how I could tell she wasn't wild, Imanaged to trap her in one of the runs when she went in to explore.Then I sat down and waited until she came to me, well she was in worseshape than I anticipated. Chunks of fur were missing, she was terrifiedof people, had what looked like bite marks on her back, scabs on herbody, dandruff,and covered in mites (I didn't know that untilshelet me get really close to her). Well I took it uponmyself to take her to the vet. It was confirmed what I already knew,she had GI Statis, mites, and sore hocks.

Well my computer was being a pain and not letting me post or sign oneven, so I just read what Carolyn went through with Tucker andattempted to treat her myself since the vet basically told me there'snothing we can do for her except pray that whatever is blocking hersystem, comes out. She just got worse yesterday, I'd go in to attemptto treat her and she'd run away but was in obvious pain as she wasscreaming fit to kill when she moved. I really only had 2 options, lether suffer and attempt to bond with her where the outcome would nodoubt be death, or treat her by force, and if she made it, then attemptto bond with her. Unfortunately, she died yesterday evening. I went outto give some pineapple juice and she she had a seizure in my arms.Seeing as how she was so afraid of people, I put her on the ground asafe distance away from everything and left her be, I came back in tofind her lifeless body.

I went back inside, sad that I didn't try harder, but went back outsideto feed my boys and caught a glimpse of something lighter squirming.She was pregnant and had given birth to a baby. I brought the littleguy (I don't know if it's a guy obviously) and put him in a makeshiftnest, and make a homemade formula for him in an attempt to save him.

Well I had this nagging feeling to go back out and look for others, soI did, and I came across 3 more babies, one was dead and the other 2were cold. I brought the 2 that were alive in and attempted to warmthem slowly as if not to shock them, and then tried to feed them. Oneof the kits died last night after I brought it in, and I woke up toanother dead this morning. There's only one left now and I don't thinkhe's doing very well.

I'm just so down about Nemesis (I named her that because it means thegood are rewarded and the bad are punished in a hope that who ever wascruel to her, is punished) dying and now her kits, and I'm kind ofthinking there may be more bunnies around like her that are beingmistreated. :?

That's it for the update on my interesting last few days. I'll touch base later.

Wow. I can't think of anything more to say!

I am so glad you that you tried your best for this poor little girl.It's a shame what happened to her, because you just know some jacka$$didn't care for her properly, then abandoned her somewhere.

You did what you could do. It sounds to me like she was in such rough shape that it was inevitable. Still, I'm sorry.

Aw, I'm sorry the buns died. You tried your best hun. Sometimes these things just happen because of irresponsible jerks.

Please let us know how the little one is doing.

Love Michelle, Meg and Pep.

Its so sad to read things like this when there isso much other choices out there for them if they could not love or carefor their bunny themselves to give her a chance and a healthy lovinghome for her and her babies such an unfortunate thing.

Atleast she come across a caring person in her final days maybe thatswhat was intended in hopes for her to find someone caring to help herwith her babies in a way she knew she couldn't in this lifetime.

Keep us informed of the little guy !

Oops, sorry I named the mom Nemisis. But the babyisn't doing well. Last night he was really vocal and just screaming tobe fed, but now he is really quiet and doesn't seem quite so active insqirming.

Oh that is just so sad. That poor bun and the babies. It amazes me that people can be so cruel to animals.

I know you did your best, and at least the bun had some love before shedied. Goodluck with the little one, and if the worst happens,at least everyone knows you tried.

I so wish people would treat their animals like another human being...but then again, there are so many people out there who dont treat theirfellow humans well either.

Such a sad thing

I know what you mean, I can't stand how people treat their animals sometimes.

I paid for Nemesis' vet visit with my own pocket money, I'm only 16, Idon't have much to spare. Actually, I have started a vet fund for myboys if they ever neededto go tothevetand my parents wouldn't pay for it, so Ipulled the money from there to pay for it. I don't regret it eventhough she died, I just regret not finding a rabbit savvy vet to takeher to.

I was walking around my area to see if I saw any obviously non-wildrabbits and sure enough, I found a beautifully marked black magpieharlequin. I'm almost assuming it's a male, and perhaps even the dad tothe kits because the mom looked to be a holland or minilopbut 2 of the babies were harlequin marked. He doesn't lookin such rough shape but I couldn't catch him, so instead I placed somefood around the area for him, I'll go back again tomorrow with somemore. I'm hoping that he may learn to trust me enough or be temptedenough that I can catch him some how before another animal does.

As for the last kit, he passed away in my hands, I don't know why and Ifeel so bad that maybe I didn't try hard enough or do something right.

But anyways, off to cuddle my boys.

Good luck with that! Hope you catch the guy.

The real sad thing is, people when they get tired of their rabbits,will let them free thinking they can take care of themselves.They really cant as we bunny loversknow.

My old landlord had a hutch with two bunnies and theyaskedmeabout how to care for them. Warmed my heart thatthey were willing to ask me sincethey knew I was a bunnylover myself. Well they were outdoor buns, and after a coupleof days, my fiance noticed a BIG brown bun hanging around thehutch. He was too big to be a wild bun so I think someonejust let him go. He was too timid for us to catch, but hehung out with the baby buns. Before long,mylandlordsput out a little crock of food for him under thebelly of the hutch and built a small little bunny house for himtohide in. So they ended up adopting a feral bunnyof sorts.

Now if we could just get it through to people that they are DOMESTICATED and they need our care too!

Im sorry to hear the last baby died better then it being in pain tho but it shoulda never happened to begin with.

Its so nice to see such a responsible 16yr old out there thats great!

Bless your heart, Laura.

You went 100 extra miles for Mom and those babies than most peoplewould've. What a huge testament to your love and compassion. You willbe rewarded for this in some way, somehow.

As said before, thank God the family died with someone as beautiful as you loving them.

It's really hard to save abandoned kits, even if you're a rabbitexpert. It's not surprising at all that you are saddened and upset bylosing them after knowing them for the short time you did. You gave100%, not 20% or 30%. You gave your all in love and personal sacrifice.

Bless your tender heart.

In Sympathy and With Love,
-Carolyn

Thats so sad. I think you did the best you could. Thats so mean of people to leave bunnies out to fend for themselves.

Cristy

Laura, I'm so sorry about the outcome of Nemesisand her babies. As others have said, at least she had some love beforeshe died. Honestly, the ignorance of some people just makes me so MAD.Releasing a domesticated rabbit into the wild is like us trying tosurvive in some wilderness without any knowledge. Hope youmanage to catch this other bun, good luck and welldone - Jan

I am so sorry to hear that Nemisis and babies didnot make it. It is amazing to me that you did so much as it is...payingfor the vet out of your own pocket at 16 certainly say's alot aboutyour character. Like Carolyn said, you will be repaid for yourkindness:)It is so hard to see domestic buns running loose. Ican certainly attest to that. We have a "island" here in Duluth calledPark Point. It is connected by the Ariel Lift Bridge. Someone aboutnine years ago released a pair of domestic buns and now the island isover-run with buns as they have no natural predators on the island. Itis so sad to see them all out in the fields, huddling under trees inthe rain. It makes me so angry that there are so many ignorant peopleout there. We wish we could save them all but we can only do our best:)

Fergi's mom

Thank you all so much for your kind words. Inreality, I did nothing more than any one of you all would have done. Icould have taken them to the local SPCA to have them try to raise them,but I was too afraid of them not getting homes if they made it then ornot being given the care they needed. As for paying for it, my parentsdon't know about Nemesis or the kits because I honestly don't thinkthey'd be happy with me or have let me keep her to treat her, so Inever told them, and by the time I found the kits, they were in bedalready so they didn't see those either.

I went up to leave some food for the male again and boy is he curious.He wont come near me but he stands about 10 feet away with his earsjust fixed on me and the food. I think something's wrong with one frontpaw seeing she how when he hopped he never used it. I'm hoping bringinghim lots of goodies will earn his trust and i can catch him soonbecause I'm worried coyotes might get him if I don't.

But off to school, see ya'll later.

My friend let her bunny Tucker go out in thewild...he kept coming back at first, she fed him and played with him,then he wandered down the street one night and a little kid caught himand kept him. Sooo.... I don't know why people do that.

If I ever had to get rid of my rabbits I'd wait until I've found a good home for them before I'd let them go free.

yeah its weird since she fed him anyway.
Yeah its mean to let the animals out in the wild when they are not wildanimals. Its the same as putting a person, who is used to civilization,in a jungle.

I don't understand people like that. Lots ofpeople would be willing to take a bunny, but instead they let it looseto defend itself and most certainly have a horrible death. Most peopledon't understand why I bothered trying to help Nemesis (I mean the vetsaid it was a waste of money to bring her in, I wont go back to thatvet) and I'm sure I'll get the same response if I can manage to catchthis little guy. So far he's really interested in me, he even came upto me, but I didn't move, I need to gain his trust or I wont have atchance at catching him.

Latest posts

Back