Neglet and Cruelty to Rabbits in the UK

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RexRabbit

Reaction score
Over the past few weeks I have come to realisethat here in the UK the authorities who are SUPPOSED to protect animalsfrom suffering are FAILING to do so.

I became aware of a terrible case of neglet of 80+ Rabbits local to me.Despite reporting the situation to the national animal welfareauthority NOTHING was done and Rabbits in this sort of state

Picture032.jpg

were left untreated. I had to take action to get the Rabbits Veterinarytreatment. As a result of my action I have been ARRESTED on a charge ofTHEFT. I was DNA/Drugs tested and fingerprinted and detained in Policecustody for 4.5 hours. The legal authorities (Police) and animalwelfare (RSPCA) appear to support the abusers of animals andcriminalise those trying to help the defenceless Rabbits.

Charges against me have now been dropped but the person who abused Rabbits like the one in the picture above go undetered.

I despair of the UK's Animal Welfare Laws. It is little wonder that 'vigilante' activity takes place

I am absolutely FURIOUS......

Janex

OMG Jane they arrested you???And the RSPCA has done nothing? Dear lord this is worse thanI thought. I hadn't heard what was going on for a bit- now Isee why. How did the rescues get the other rabbits out?

And for those not reading Rabbit Rehome, I believe quite a few (20+?)of these rabbits had to be euthanized due to severe, untreated medicalproblems.:(

I cannot believe this!:shock: It's a disgrace!The RSPCA is totally useless, that's evident from the state of most ofthe pet shop's here.:X It makes me feel ashamed, why can't they cleanup their act? How can they arrest you and stand up for anyone who couldharm so many rabbits like that!?!:growl: Something has to be done!

Glad they let you go BTW, I hope it never happens again

Michaela and the girls:brownbunny:brownbunny:brownbunny

I know, it is absolutely crazy. The so called'breeder' has had a previous 5 year ban from keeping ALL animals aftera prosecution for cruelty and neglet of ponies (banned 2001-2006) Butwhat is the point in a 'ban'. Clearly it does not stop peoplecontinuing to abuse animals.

I have very little faith in either the UK Police or the Animal WelfareOrganisation. I am sick and tired of hearing all the reasons(EXCUSES!!) why they cannot take action.

They were quick enough to incarcerate ME!!

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh it really is beyond belief.......:growl:

Janex

Wow Jane, I cant believe this.

That makes me so sick that this person is going unpunished while they have the audacity to arrest you.

ugh..what is this world coming to. Some people make me so sick.

Youre a saint, dont let anyone make you feel otherwise.

This is another Bun that I got out of the hell-hole

She had to have a big operation to excise a large abscess from her back. It was a bite wound that was left untreated.

Picture059.jpg

Janex

OMG:shock:
thats terrible that poor bunny, are those bites ?
people like that should get a life ban from keeping pets.
where in the uk are u?

That is so shocking Jane!

You are an absolute saint, thank you for saving those bunnies lives. You are truly amazing.

Is it at all possible to get some UK rabbit groups involved, to generate some bad publicity over the RSPCA's handling of this?

That is totally disgraceful!!!,how could anyone treat their animals that way!!

and the authorities did nothing!!,look at those poor bunnies!!,how canthey just turn a blind eye to a situation like that :mad:.

It's just not right :(

cheryl

Omg Jane, thatsridiculous!:shock:You're so right about the RSPCA, they aretotally useless. And I hate the whole 'give them a ban on keepinganimals' state of mind. Any person who abuses an animal should bepunished, or at least banned for life. And we're supposed to bea nation of animal lovers, makes me wonder when I see cruelty like thatand nothing being done about it by the people who are supposedto help.:rollseyes

What is even more heartbreaking is that in orderto avoid further detention in Police Custody, thereby putting all myother 37 Bunnies welfare at risk, I had to hand the Rex (Brown andWhite) Rabbit over to the RSPCA. The Breeder said she would drop allallegations if I 'left the Rex in a box on her doorstep' HOW COULD IPOSSIBLY DO THAT!! But neither could I risk further Police detention.So I said I would hand the Rex over to the RSPCA Inspector who iscurrently investigating the breeder for NEGLET.

My Vet also spoke with the RSPCA. She was 100% supportive of me andstated her grave concern should the Rex be returned to the breeder.Neither my Vet nor I have been allowed to know where the Rex hasgone.......:(

She is still legally the breeders and so it is possible she was returned to her:(

The UK has antiquated Animal Welfare Laws. But even working within theinadequacies I fail to see how Rabbits in such a horrendous state couldbe left to 'allow the breeder reasonable time to seek VeterinaryTreatment' Reasonable time is deemed to be 7 days. Those Rabbits wouldhave been dead within that time.

I am absolutely FURIOUS about this and feel so powerless....:(

Janex

Whilst Alysia was with me I was able to show her what freedom is like

Picture070.jpg

I am heartbroken that she is now.....well, goodness knows where...:(:(

The RSPCA have not returned any of my calls, it is so frustrating :mad:

I do still have Gracie, the Flemish Giant

Picture089.jpg

Her wound is healing, although it did break down and she had to go backonto Penicillin Injections, wound flushes and Manuka Honey Wound Gel.

Now we just have to hope that she is NOT pregnant.....

Janex

:tears2:poor little things..it's just not fair!

You are such a wonderful and caringperson for tryingto help these bunnies :hug:

cheryl

naturestee wrote:
OMG Jane they arrested you??? And the RSPCAhas done nothing? Dear lord this is worse than Ithought. I hadn't heard what was going on for a bit- now Isee why. How did the rescues get the other rabbits out?

And for those not reading Rabbit Rehome, I believe quite a few (20+?)of these rabbits had to be euthanized due to severe, untreated medicalproblems.:(

Sadly that was actually a SEPERATE incident :(

The place I encountered is still, as far as I know, continuing as before..:mad::X:mad:

The RSPCA wont return any of my calls. They see me as a hinderance to them 'doing their job'.

Well, as I see it no-one was doing ANYTHING and Rabbits were (and STILL ARE) enduring suffering beyond belief...:(:(

The Animal Welfare Laws in the UK are due to me ammended with effectfrom 1st April 2007. At the moment the only Law enforcable is onedating back nearly 100 years!! But even with an 'upgrade' in the Law itis only going to be effective if it is ENFORCED.....

Not a day goes by when I dont think of Alysia and all the other Rabbits still in that hell-hole :(:(:(:(

Janex

Darn. I must have gotten confused, asthat all seemed to happen at the same time.:? I can't believethey've just left those poor buns there, and they've taken Alysiaaway. :cry4:

If she's banned from having animals through 2006, why haven't theyconfiscated them yet? Or was the ban supposed to end in thebeginning of 2006? Obviously nobody was checking to make sureshe was obeying her sentance.

naturestee wrote:
Darn. I must have gotten confused, as that allseemed to happen at the same time.:? I can't believe they'vejust left those poor buns there, and they've taken Alysiaaway. :cry4:

If she's banned from having animals through 2006, why haven't theyconfiscated them yet? Or was the ban supposed to end in thebeginning of 2006? Obviously nobody was checking to make sureshe was obeying her sentance.

She was banned from 1st May 2001-1ST May 2006. But I know she had those Rabbits during her ban.....:mad:

It is ridiculous that no-one is doing anything. I tried my best but ended up in the cop-shop!! :shock::mad::mad:

Janex

I haven't posted on this thread before now, butdid read it the other day, and must say seeing the pics and hearing thestory is so heartbreaking. I just wanted to say bless you, Janex, forbeing someone who does care about these beautiful little souls, when itappears that no one else involved has.

You are an angel :hug2:

Latest posts

Back