Need Urgent Help Please for baby Cottontail!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MsBinky

Reaction score
[align=center]What am I doing wrong? :cry1:[/align]
[align=center]The other baby looks really ill. His face is all wet from the nose down and his teeth are a dark yellow. What am I doing to cause this???? :cry1:[/align]
[align=center]I feel horrible.[/align]
[align=center]:sad:[/align]

Oh Sophie, I'm so sorry... I hope he pulls through...

But I've been meaning to post just to remind you not to get your hopes up, they so rarelysurvive.

Randy is the source on this, but they go through a pretty drastic gut conversion at thatage, and the odds aren't great, even in the wild, but really not in captivity.

I'm not sure what you've been doingfor the little guys, but Iguess just keep him hydrated --- is he overheated you think or just fading?

Maybe Randy can help, but the odds are pretty crappy.

Poor bunny... Poor Sophie!

sas:tears2:

:(

I'm so pissed they were to be released tonight. :cry1:I thought they were okay. Them "Paf". I had been keeping an eye on them since you guys mentionned the possibility of a problem due to the smell. They were a bit more quiet and I syringe fed some water gently to see if it helped. I really dunno now!

Hi MsBinky,

Not trying to be a smarta*&...but welcome to the world of wildlife rehab. This is an example of what Animal Planet doesn't show you on their "feel good" people saving wildlife stories. This is most likely one of those cases that I have ever so often when you do everything correct but lose the animal. And it happens....and it happens quite a bit. It is most likely nothing you have done wrong since the other is healthy....but seriously, that shows just how delicate these guys are. It has happened to me just like that....the day of release. I remember one little guy....came in a litter that was only a day or two old....and they all had to be tubed (I had to insert a feeding catheter and feed directly into the stomach). He was on his "hidey box" when I went outside to prepare the car to take the cage to the release point. I was outside no more than 5 minutes. When I came back in, he was on his side and died in a few minutes. So don't beat yourself up. Without you, he wouldn't have made it this far. You gave him the chance he most likely would not have had otherwise. It just didn't work this time.

As far as treatment to try to pull him thru....unless you have a sympathetic vet it will be difficult....and still will be if you have a vet's help. Most likely what you see is that terrible gut conversion they get about 21 days old or so. It is a violent conversion of the pH in the GI in which the gut converts quickly to an adult acidic environment. The beneficial bacteria can't withstand the quick change and will start to die off. It is very similar to a condition called "cecal dysbiosis" in domestics. The good bacteria will be overtaken by toxic bacteria such as E Coli and Clostridium. The prognosis is very grim. I have managed to pull a few thru by heating their body temp up to the high range of normal, hydration by SQ at 10% of body weight (WARNING-->for those of you that can administer SQ...this is way above the proper dosing) and administer a drug called Metronidazole (Flagyl) at20 mg/kg PO BID (I wrote it like that just in case a vet will help and there will no question on dosing). That drug will most likely need to be compounded since most vets only carry the tabs but there is a suspension available. It tastes really nasty. Not trying to be gloom and doom but most of the time they don't make it very long once they roll. It is not a pretty sight to watch this and you will most likely hear a shrill scream at the end.

I can assure you that all rehabbers have been thru that. There is a huge learning curve and rest assured, I lost a lot of animals when I first started. And don't think I don't lose some now because I do. There is only so much we can do from the medical end. But even though you feel this is bad, and it is...don't think of it as a failure. If he doesn't make, that bun's life had meaning....first, because you cared enough to help him in his hour of need....and second, you have learned valuable lessons that can be applied should you find more cottontails later on.

There is a little trick I use and it seems to work quite well. I use Oxbow Critical Care starting as soon as they eat solid food. It's in their formual initially and I start out with a very small amount about day 10 and work an increasing amount into their food....I even sprinkle it on their greens and have had some that would eat the CC on their own....that was nice. You hear of many people using acidophilus too....and it's usually lactobacillus. Well, that doesn't grow naturally in a rabbit's gut but it does seem to work. It works by acidifying the gut....look at the first four letters...acid. Bascially what I have learned over the years is how to manually manipulate the pH and control the gut conversion. I start the change in pH a little earlier and even out the conversion and it seems to work quite well. I am also seeing some benefit in using lactobacillus casei. Still working on that one.

Good luck...and I will be checking back often...send me a PM if you need more info.

Randy

I have to say that it is very hard to keep a cottontail going as a baby. Like I said, my mom had 5 (one died that would have made 6) and they got released. She had raised a chipmunk from the point of not having its eyes open - she lived for 7 years! Their lifespan I think is like 3?

Anyhow, and I have Clover. I truly didn't think she would make it. I even told my husband that I just wanted to make her comfy here while she was alive cause she couldn't be out on her own with the injury she had.

How we got through - I don't know. I really don't.

Hey Randy,

i have a thing called Pro-Digest, it supposedly rebuilds the flora or something. I know it rebuilds good bacteria. I never tried it. Do you think it is worth a shot? I don't have Oxbow anything here. There is nothing for rabbits here :grumpy:And still out of Nutrical. :grumpy:

Anyway, thanks for the help and for making me feel a bit better about it not being something I did directly. I really thought I was doing good by leaving it on natural foods and it might help with the conversion but I guess not. Bunnies are so fragile. :tears2:

I really don't want to hear it scream :cry1:Thank God I wasn't there when the other died :cry1::cry4:Will put it in another room if I have to but I couldn't take hearing it scream.

Last time I heard an animal scream, I screamed just as loudly and ran out of the house screaming. It was a mouse. I don't want to relive that. Especially not with a bunny :cry1:

I am strong in a lot of things but I sure ain't when it comes to animals.:nerves1

Oh.... I feel terrible. I really hope he pulls through. I know what you mean by not wantting to here a bunny scream. It's terrible. *sniff* I remeber that how Bud went. :tears2:It really hurts inside hereing it. *sniff* I think I'm going crying.

I'm no help here at all. But good luck, and DON"T give up,

-TK:pray:

hang in there--it is not your fault. you are doing the very best you can to help them, for which you are a saint!

Thanks guys. I'm not special for loving a bun, buns are special for loving us humans. Lol.

Anyway, I went ahead and syringed him a mix of water and Pro-digest. Not sure if it's just the water of if the Pro-Digest did anything but he is much more alert than before. He's bouncing around and doesn't look as ill.

Not getting my hopes up but I will fight til the end. I have nothing to lose but trying right now.

That sounds possitive!!! Like I said before, I know nothing about this sort of thing, but that sounds better.

Still, here are some good vibes I'm sending your way,

[align=center]:rainbow: :pink iris::inlove: :hug::sunshine::clover: :jumpforjoy: :magicwand::bouquet::hearts::pray::hug1:group::goodluck:heartbeat:[/align]

Do you have any pellets there?

I think he needs solid food. Or somewhat solid. I didn't mess with anything but what I would feed a normal home bunny - I gave Clover the moistened pellets I let sit with just enough warm water on them to make them soft and fluffy - when they were ready I put them on a little saucer and placed Clover's front feet on the dish where she could see and smell them. I did mix in something sweet to get her to first try them - but she couldn't have cared less - she gobbled her pellets. I was giving her kitten replacer at first.... just a little mixed with water and then I added a few pellets to make a shake. SHe had that for about a week then I moved her to the pellets and just a 1/8 tsp of baby food banana.

I started leaving a bit of hay in her cage as soon as I brought her home and she munched on it here and there - then started eating it all.

I should say that I am not a rehabber but I did raise the one i have and my mom and I raised her five - the same way we did with Clover.

I think that at some point they need solid food in their tummies.... I think it's a fine line as to what they get but since mommy isn't there to give them cecals - maybe it's the pellets and stuff I fed that got Clover through? None of ours have had the poo's always solid little balls.

BTW we used a kitten nurser bottle not a syringe. Clover sucked that shake down as soon as I put it in her mouth. I cut a goodbit off the end so it came through easy.

Latest posts

Back