Need traction help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itoshiixhito

Reaction score
---Edit 4/24/2010---

I woke up at 6:30AM to Maaya leaping and sliding about like it was the rabbit ice capades @_@

I put sawdust down over the coroplast until I can find something better. She tends to tug and dig at my sheets when she's on my bed, so I'm hesitant to use fleece or towels. And I don't want to keep using sawdust because it's going to get expensive and messy to keep covering an 8ft² floor :twitch:

Anyone have any ideas on what I should use?

[line]

4/23/2010

I just got done putting together the "cage" part of her new house. My fingers are raw from the zip ties @___@

I went from Target, to Walmart, to another Target before I found the squares. But the spaces between the bars were too wide, so I had to return it and drive across town to a Bed, Bath & Beyond that thankfully had the right ones.

The cage ended up being too big to get through my bedroom door :banghead
I had to cut it in half then reassemble it again.

Here's a pic of the cage (without the roof part) compared to my Holland Lop. It has a second level 1/3 of the way across, which is what she's sitting under.

Picture18.png

(Crappy cellphone pic is crappy XD)

Tomorrow I have to take a 40 minute drive to a sign place to get the coroplast @_@

Wow, it looks so... neat! Mine are always 'askew', they never look quite straight and I ties don't look that neat (even though I really try to burn, file or cut the edges so they can't cut the bunnies).

Congrats! :great:

And no sign painters nearby who may have leftovers or used ones? You can use them already painted, just put the painted side down. I've never had a bunny chew on them.

sas :bunnydance:

Thank you :biggrin:

It's really straight because I'm
REALLY ocd. All the cubes and zip ties face the same direction :whistling

I've been looking around for places that have coroplast for a while now. Everywhere I've called have said "what's that???"

I don't mind the drive really (I think my friend is driving anyway XD), and they have 8x4ft sheets of it for $20
;)

Nice cage. For traction on Buddy's 'step' to his 2nd level, I bought those sticky things you can put in a bathtub to prevent from falling. It seems to help. I also found a piece of carpeting at my local dollar store that's pretty thick that I lay in there as well.

I'll post a response I wrote in another thread here. :)

Pipp wrote:
I'm not a big fan of corroplast or 'pet store plastic' for floors unless they're covered with something else with more traction.

I've been seeing that rabbits not getting enough traction not only feel insecure and ill at ease, they can have physical problems. Even wire floors are healthier for most rabbits.

I prefer wood, grass mats, vinyl mats, wire and/or carpet, preferably a combination of several of those surfaces. Grass mats are probably the favorite, but they'd eat or pee on them (or both) so they don't last, and they can be hard to secure. I've had rabbits get sore hocks from just a carpeted surface.

Oddly enough, right now I'm using rocks, and they love them. A store close by was closing out and had these mesh mats and rubber mats with flat stones glued on to them. I've got them on my corroplast floors and my rabbits love them.

My pink-eyed white guy is always really reluctant to jump down onto the floor from his upper floors of his condo when the white corroplast is showing. He did better with it covered by grass mats, but the rock mats have given him a whole new confidence.

Ditto with the 'bathroom buns'.

Mister and Darry live in a converted bathroom with a linoleum floor and plywood and carpet covering the tub. Mister in particular I think came from a single story small breeder cage and isn't a very good 'hopper.' He was constantly doing nose plants into the edge of the plastic hay tray when he went to jump in, and he was falling when he tried to jump onto the covered tub. AND he was getting sore hocks.

I put two of the rock mats over the linoleum and a couple more over the carpet/wood on the tub and now he's happily launching himself all over the place.

And his sore hocks cleared right up!

ETA: He's also finally starting to lose some weight. :)
sas :rabbithop
Mikel's pen is a two x four panel rolling job that an awesome bunny slave made for us (YAY for BunnyRosanna's Rob!!), and he put a regular carpet/mat on a plywood floor but he turned it over so it's the vinyl side up. :) Works AWESOME.

He built the wood frame over it so the mat has no edges that can be chewed.

I think bathmats would work as well. OR rough stone tiles...

sas :goodluck:

Latest posts

Back