Need to go to vets, but now, or can it wait?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aww Jen, I'm sorry that Chalk has to go through another surgery, but perhaps this is the way to go to finally get rid of these abcesses.

Chalk is a strong girl, and she has been acting and feeling really well despite the abcesses, so I'm sure she will get through this OK. We are all praying for her (and you and Steve). How is Mouse doing?

Jan

Chalk seems to be quite the Trooper, would it be too much for Mouse to go along so that when Chalk wakes up they would both be together (just a thought).. I really hope this all goes well and I just have a good feeling about it. Will stay online tomorrow awaiting the news.

So sorry Chalk has to go through this again....and so soon. We'll keep you all in our thoughts and prayers tomorrow. Did the vet give you any indication of how long the surgery will take, and when she'll be able to come home? Just wondering when we can expect to hear anything. We'll anxiously awaiting news tomorrow!:pray:

Thanks guys...

Julie, I don't think that Mouse going is a viable option for them, she's going to the animal hospital and they are always really busy and stacked out for space down there, plus they have said before that they'd need to be kept separate post-op anyway to monitor the eating/pooing situation... It's a shame, but it makes sense I guess... Hopefully, she'll be able to come home tomorrow, they didn't mention an overnight stay, but it will depend on how she does during the op..:(:(

We're dropping her off at 8ish, and the way it normally goes is that they do the surgery in the morning sometime, and then you can call after lunchtime, or they call you and tell you how it went. Then you can pick them up in the afternoon, around 4-5ish...

So I'll spend most of the morning tomorrow tearing my hair out, I've already bitten my nails right down so can't do that... I cleaned the whole house pretty much today, so can't do that.... :(

Hopefully I'll be able to update on here once I've spoken to them, before we pick her up to let you know how she is!

Argh, I'm so worried.... I've already had a long cuddle but I'm going to pick her up and give her lots more kisses now....:)

Jen xx

Edit: Scrap that, she just hopped up and bit me on the chin! She must know!! :shock:

I'll be praying for Chalk and for you. When you drop her off or pick her up you should speak to the vet about getting her on a stronger antibiotic. Baytril, especially oral, is so weak theres no way it will fight abscesses, which are so encapsulated and difficult for the antibiotic to get to. I dont think you guys have Bicillin in the UK but you might ask anyway, or ask about an injectible antibiotic which would be stronger.

If you have time, check out that article Marietta gave you, Bicillin was a lifesaver for me and Max. We also have lots of good articles in our Library under "Abscesses".

I'll say a prayer everything goes ok for you and Chalk. We're here if you need us.

*hugs*

Haley

Awww she's picking up on your feelings and she's probably trying to tell you it hurts!

Poor baby...... and poor you! I know it's been terrible....

When you think about the surgery you had..... and then hers....... I'm sure you can feel her pain :(

Poor Chalk! How invasive is this surgery going to be? It's almost 10 am there, so I'd imagine Chalk is at the hospital already. I really, really hope everything goes smoothly and am waiting for you to get back here with a good update for us. I know too well how you must be feeling right now :(

Thanks guys,

We just got back a little while ago from dropping Chalk off at the hospital. She has a packed lunch with pellets, spring greens, romaine, apple, corriander, parsley and basil! She still seems herself this morning, she was digging the towel around in the carrier in the car- I got a little video of it on my mobile.

She should be going in late morning, it's 11.45am here so maybe she's in now? :? And we should get a call sometime this afternoon, but if we don't hear anything we are to call at 4pm. They couldn't say whether she would stay overnight, it depends on how late she gets out of theatre, and whether she eats, drinks and poos straight away or not... But there's nurses there 24 hours, it's the same place where she was before...

I'm so scared! Steve cried after we dropped her off too, he's really worried. He kept telling the admissions nurse things that they might need to know, like she only likes smooth surfaces to lie on, and she nibbles clothing, and to handle her carefully cos her tummy's sore... Bless...

On the way home we stopped to get fresh carrot tops for when she comes home, and we got her a new willow toy from Pets at Home. We spoke to the manager and staff their, who looked after Barney and Snowy before we adopted them, and they were all so shocked about Chalk, and now they're worried about her too!

Pennie, I know, my surgery was so painful, and it's similar in a way, that just makes me more worried for how much my poor baby is going through! :cry1:

And Shiloh, hopefully it wont be tooo invasive, they're removing all the abscesses on the skin, where the original suture line was, and the abscesses internally, but they're just under the skin, so hopefully, as long as that's all they find.... *fingers crossed*

I'll update you all as soon as I know anything, I've got all the phones right by me! I can't think what to do to occupy myself, so I'm going to cook soup, lol- got all those spare carrots left over from buying the bunches with tops for the buns!

Thank you so much everyone, it means a lot to know that people are thinking of her! :hug:

Jen xx

Pennie, I know, my surgery was so painful, and it's similar in a way, that just makes me more worried for how much my poor baby is going through! :cry1:
Yes, but it makes the understanding you have for her much greater and I know she's feeling your vibes. When she gets home, I think you'll relax a bit and she'll be able to relax also.

Make sure they give you pain medicine for her! and when she's feeling better - I think she'll be back to her lovey self again. No nipping Mama!

Jen, I'm going to bed now, but I'm expecting to hear that she did great during the surgery and is recovering nicely when I wake up! I will be thinking good thoughts for all of you. Poor Steve, that's so sweet that he loves his Chalk so much. Paul doesn't really get my sadness over Tallulah :(

Lots of hugs for you!!!! Please update the thread as soon as you hear anything?

Oh Jen.

I am soo sorry I've only just seen this thread. I just want you to know I am thinking of you and Chalk and hopping she is back home soon. xxx

SHE'S OK!!!!!!

The vets just called Steve, she's coming round ok! She's moving around, and having a nibble of some food, and we can go pick her up at about 5pm!!!!!

WOOOHOOOOO!!

:biggrin2:

The vet did say that one of the abscesses was right in her muscle though? That's what Steve thought she said anyway) So they had to go deeper than they imagined they would, but none of them were ruptured and there was no pus or anything inside, and they managed to remove all of them ok.

The only concern I have is that the vet wants her to stay on the Baytril. Steve asked about a stronger antibiotic, but the vet said that there's only a few available over here suitable for rabbits (I'm pretty sure that vets here don't really use PenG or anything like that), and that she has concerns that she may become immune to the antibiotics, and doesn't want to risk that with anything other than Baytril? I'm not really sure, so I'll try and see if we can speak to the vet when we pick her up, if not we're going back to see our regular vet in a day or 2 for a check-up so I'll speak to them then, I feel more comfortable discussing stuff like that with them, as they seem to recognise that I have some other source of knowledge (you guys!) and understand it all a lot.

Anyway, I'm SOOOOOO glad she's ok! My baby Chalk is coming home! YAY!

:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

YEY!!

Thats really good news, I have been thinking about Chalk hoping she was doing well. When can she come home? Bet you can't wait to have her back for a cuddle :biggrin2:

See if you can get injectable Baytril. It's much much much more effective in that form. I would push very strongly for it if you can.

Yay! Im so happy Chalk is ok!

A lot of vets are scared to use other antibiotics on rabbits since they have sensitive GI tracts and have been warned against using the cillin drugs in rabbits. I agree with Ivory though, even injectible Baytril would be so much more effective. Oral Baytril will do little to nothing against abscesses.

I know you cant get Bicillin in the UK, but maybe you can get PenG with Procaine? That could be given every day. I would ask about that.

Also, if these continue to be a problem, you should ask about antibiotic impregnated beads, which slowly release meds into the system. Heres an article on that if you want to share with your vet:

http://www.mth.kcl.ac.uk/~llandau/Homepage/Rabbit/abscess.html

And heres one on using Penicillin in the UK where Bicillin is not available:

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/penicillin.htm

And loads more articles in our Library here:

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11791&forum_id=10

I know just what youre going through bc I went through the same thing with Max. Trying to convince these vets to try a treatment they have never used nor heard of without offending them is difficult but essential. I always emailed or printed out anything I could find to show my vet. I also referenced the forum, saying things like "my friend's vet used x and it worked, can we at least try?". Its difficult to walk this line with your vet who thinks they know best, but Max wouldnt be here if I didnt push to get him on Bicillin. It really saved his life.

I'll be praying for you and your girl. Hopefully when you see your regular vet you can get her on some antibiotics to help control these infections!

Haley

Way to go, Chalk!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We're all so happy for you!!!! Lots of little bunny nose kisses for you!!!!:bunnyhug:

Marietta

Latest posts

Back